Put Over v Put In QUiver Tips

MikeG

Reaction score
One of my favourite rods for feeder fishing is a Tricast Trophy 4x4 11/13 ft. I love this rod for its versatility. Supplied with 4 tips and 2 middle sections, of which one section takes the 2 put overs and the other the 2 put in tips. I normally fish the put over tips on still waters as they are a lot finer and the put ins for rivers. My question really is there an advantage of one type over the other, i.e. why not all the same.

Mike

john step

Reaction score
Well you learn something new every day. I have only ever had push in tips. I never knew there were put overs.
Must be the cheap old rods I use:wh

MikeG

Reaction score
Well you learn something new every day. I have only ever had push in tips. I never knew there were put overs.
Must be the cheap old rods I use:wh

This particular rod is 'old' by today's standard, probably had it about 16 years. I don't know if any of today's rods have put over tips?
Fact is all my gear is old but 'new'. I had all my gear stolen about 17 years ago and replaced it over the course of a year, then I just stopped fishing, just seemed to lose that 'magic' for some reason, kept all my gear though as I knew that one day would see me back on the bank :).

Mike

sam vimes

Reaction score
Tri-Cast are the only manufacturer I've ever encountered that make a single rod that has both push in and put over tips in a single package. The only reason I can think of for them doing so is that it can influence the action of the rod and integration of the different tips into the blank.

Many people don't believe that the average, push in tip, quiver rod can possibly be equally good with all of the different tips supplied. Some manufacturers get round it by providing whole tip sections rather than a carrier and different tips. I suspect that Tri-Cast are trying to achieve a similar thing with less expense.

ben10

Reaction score
I could be wrong but from what I read/heard once it’s supposedly something to do with a push over tip following the natural curve of the blank better. I’ve never personally used 1 as the only rods I’ve seen them on are the tricast. I can see them being good for commercial fishing where you may encounter hard fighting carp and tench and a more natural curve should cushion the fight better. My only quiver tip rods are used for bream fishing so I prefer the stiffer butt and mid sections for casting and lighter tips for bite registration. I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with push in quivers and as stated above, fitted with the optimal tip for the rod stiffness and you get a pretty even curve anyway.

ian g

Reaction score
I used to have a Maver rod which came with a mixture of put over and push in quivers and 2 carriers . It was called a 4 play I believe , Looked on line but the current model seems to be just put in.