Carp rods

Bobby0845

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at some rods as I'm starting carp fishing, I am looking for recommendations. I have a old set of okuma Spector reels or a set of okuma longbow lb 90 reels Spare maybe I could put to use to start with?
Any recommendations would be appreciated and I don't want to break the bank either.
Rob

mikench

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a carp rod as they remove most of the pleasure of catching fish. They are the piscatorial equivalent of using durex!

A quality feeder or barbel rod is infinitely superior! I cannot comment on their suitability for carp in excess of 25lb however!:wh

john step

Reaction score
Are you starting CARP FISHING( buzzers and indicators) or carp fishing on commies( for moderate size fish but plenty of them)?

Always youtube is a good starting place. Carp rods for CARP FISHING .. there are plenty discounted at the moment by the big mail order firms. Plenty on the web. As you are starting and for this type of fishing they are likely to be in the rests most of the time I wouldn't pay a lot until you get experience and make further choices.

I would start with a 2.5 lb test curve. Enough beef to cast on just about any water except very big waters but enough give not to feel like a poker. Small waters you can use shorter rods at 10 foot quite OK. I suspect any of the big names like Daiwa,Nash, Fox etc will fit your bill.

My favourite at the moment are a couple of rods at a price that belies their quality. Take a look at NGT Direct the Dynamic range.
Also look at TFG who often do buy one get one free.

Bobby0845

Reaction score
My idea was just try a few localish waters to start maybe with fish up to 20s just get some experience this year and then see.
I a have a set of Maver Rods 2.5lb and my old set of shimano 4500 baitrunner reels what you think about putting some decent line on them for the smaller waters?
It's not as if I'm going to France or places I will need to cast 100 yards.
Plus it will be nice to get my first real set of reels back out ?????? A trip down memory lane is always good in fishing

mikench

Reaction score
You have answered your own question! Put some new line on your reels, give them a once over clean and lubrication and give them a try. In my experience( limited) you can only tell how good a rod is and how satisfying it is to use when you catch a fish or two!

Buy new when you know what you want or discover any inadequacies with your old gear.

I started fishing with nothing and have bought as i have gone along and as i have been tempted by gear used and recommended by those far more experienced than me!

It was Flightliner on here in another post who commented on some Shakey Agility 12" feeder rods on offer at £25 a pop in the context of value for money and that in some venues( tight swims, muddy banks, alien territory and poor weather) you might prefer to use your old gear which stands you at little cost and save the best for nicer conditions. Personally I hate my gear getting dirty so the best is left in the car or at home if I am sat in mud in the rain! Enjoy!

john step

Reaction score
My idea was just try a few localish waters to start maybe with fish up to 20s just get some experience this year and then see.
I a have a set of Maver Rods 2.5lb and my old set of shimano 4500 baitrunner reels what you think about putting some decent line on them for the smaller waters?
It's not as if I'm going to France or places I will need to cast 100 yards.
Plus it will be nice to get my first real set of reels back out ������ A trip down memory lane is always good in fishing

Sounds the best way to go. As to 20s, there are many anglers who have yet to catch one that big. I have found for me that as much fun can be had with any carp. They all pull back.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you really want (not need that's different :wh) some new rods have a look on the Fishtec site they are selling the TFG Banshee 12ft 2.5 for £29.99 each.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would say the maver and shimano set up that you have is a good set up, I would keep that, respool your reels, and spend part of whatever you were going to spend on new rods and possibly reels
on items you will be using on a daily basis or an unhooking mat if you havnt got one, As for venues I would give wyreside fisheries a try, it is not far from Blackpool.