Trip tips!

Wallasaurus

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm in the middle of a little trip where I am fishing as well as unwinding. The weather has been so-so but had a couple of days of plenty of silvers including a couple of ok bream and decent roach approaching a pound or so.

I've got one clear day tomorrow to fish, and I wonder if there are any tips for a relative beginner. The lodge I am in has a deck from which you can fish, onto a medium sized water which has decent carp in, as well as the usual coarse fishing suspects. It seems they are hanging out over by a big island where the water is deeper and thus a bit warmer. I can't get over to it with my kit from this swim, so I want to make the most of this swim I'm in. There's supposed to be Allsorts of things to catch so I'm up for trying anything.

Sorry for waffling. :). My default approach is float fishing but I have kit for levering, just not very comfortable or experienced with it. I could also target perch in the structure around the lodge (if they are there. . .) with worms.

Any expert tips or tactics very welcomed. :)

swizzle

Reaction score
Have you tried fishing with bigger baits? They tend to be more selective if you are after a better quality fish.

Wallasaurus

Reaction score
Yeah tried a range of sizes of bait. Bites from small silverfish on 1,2,3,4 maggots, but meat is slow to nonexistent on various sizes. It does seem that maybe the shoals are just not there. Also tried hard on bottom versus up a bit and it didn't seem to help. Corn has been unproductive which seems unusual, and even special strawberry flavoured new fangled jelly pellet was no good.

The small fish occasionally shoot off and jump out of the water so I wonder if some Loch Ness sized pike is set up camp under the jetty, but ducks go under there and come out alive so not sure.

Vexing me somewhat! Thanks for the ideas though.

john step

Reaction score
The water is still very cold and many are struggling, so take heart and enjoy whatever pulls the float under.

Wallasaurus

Reaction score
Haha thanks john, I decided today to go through my tackle and sort out various bits and bobs instead of getting frustrated in the rain and wind. I will be back! :).

Another Dave

Reaction score
The small fish occasionally shoot off and jump out of the water so I wonder if some Loch Ness sized pike is set up camp under the jetty, but ducks go under there and come out alive so not sure.

Vexing me somewhat! Thanks for the ideas though.

Pike don't chase and harry prey like that, sounds to me like you've located some chunky perch, much better.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As Dave said it sounds like some perch are lurking around, try a lob worm tail as bait or a bunch of smaller worms,
if using lobworm tail, take a pair of scissors to a hand full of worms, chop them up into around 1/2" lengths and throw
a few in around your float, keep the rest just covered in water in a bait box as use as and when required.