Poles

paugar08

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m newish to the pole game, been fishing years but only on pole for last season. I use an old daiwa match winner pole atm, but I’m looking for a lighter better pole now, I know a good one costs thousands but I was after some advice, if you was looking to buy a second hand pole for up to 600 what would you go for. Mines ok but as you get out past 10 metres it Sara to get very heavy, thanks

sagalout

Reaction score

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Second hand Daiwa G50 may just be over your budget, A Daiwa G20 should be inside it, also any of the Daiwa ZR range. Tricast are also good poles to source 2nd hand, I mention these 2 brands because spares are readily available for older models, The maver Darkside is a good pole, or if you can find a good used Maver Occulus. Just check for any hairline cracks aor dinks at the end of the sections, and if they have been overwrapped, walk away. The Spares package for the Drennan is brilliant but it is a heavy pole at full length, The review does not tell you how it performs or how it feels after 10 metres when you add the last 2 sections to 14.5, Shimano unfortunately do not seem to make poles apart from the beastmaster and that is heavy, this is just my take on the poles, I have always had a number of shimanos, then tried maver, and now on Daiwa, Other members will more than likely tell you other makes, my suggestion is based on spares availability, use of my own pole and comments from friends who have maver,

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I honestly can't fault my Daiwa G20, there are quite a few coming up for sale 2nd hand as people upgrade to the G50. You should get a good one with 6/7 topkits for around £500/600...Great all round pole.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Any thoughts on daiwa xr5

The XR5 is the predecessor to the ZR5, 16 metre , there is the Matchwinner C series out now, A brand new C3 retails around £650, you get match kit in the pole, 3 power kits, cupping kit with cups, a couple of mini extensions and holdall, the pole is 14.5 metres. BUT.. for that money I would source a good 2nd Daiwa G20, you will see a few 2nd hand ZR5's for sale but again The G20 is a better pole, I have had the G50 since it first came out, I have had no complaints with it, Had small roach to double figure carp on it, Also the kits from the G20/50 interchange will all UK made Daiwa poles apart from I think, the Whisker.

paugar08

Reaction score
Hi thanks all for your replies, is the g20 connoisseur the one or is that a different model? Thanks

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The G50 is the Connoisseur as well,There is not much between the two,a couple of my friends bought the G20 when it came out, 1 still has his, the other sold and bought a G50 when they came out. The G20 is a brilliant pole,If I was you I would source one of those..
But keep hold of your Matchwinner, Use it as a margin pole with power kits fitted,