New to fishing/pole/canal

bennygesserit

Reaction score
One point to note if you fish a commercial with large carp in you may will get your line snapped
If you fish a commie try and find one with a silvers only pool

bennygesserit

Reaction score
This might be worth a look YouTube
How did we learn stuff before you-tube ? ( I remember as a student in the 80s using microfiche and sending off for a copy of a thesis etc )

bennygesserit

Reaction score
How to elasticate a whip YouTube

I have 2 whips one elasticated and one with the metal ring on the end

Another Dave

Reaction score
Excellent guide from Bob Nudd here, who seems happy with a pole float (tackle discussed about 17 mins in)

YouTube

mikench

Reaction score
I just cannot summon any interest at all in this kind of fishing. I did buy awhip but have never used it. Speed fishing is pointless unless you are in a match which I shall never be.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I reckon I could change your opinion Mike, get down ere sharpish. A few hours catching pound plus Rudd every few minutes challenging the strength of the whip is an absolute pleasure, infact I’m having a bash on Monday.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You don't need to be speed fishing or in a match to use a heavy float to devastating effect.
A 2g or even heavier can be used on a long whip or pole on a deep, fastish river like the Thames.
With a bulk or olivette down near the hook link, you can hold it back hard against the current at 45degrees to tempt big roach and dace.

Last edited:

kimura88

Reaction score
Hahahaha,sounds like a nice relaxing day out.
Not really picked a spot yet but the towpath is fairly narrow and busy close to home.
Luckily my gear is all small and cheap so should be pretty snug most places.

kimura88

Reaction score
Ready made rigs are usually designed for pole fishing, you’ll be using a “long line” on a whip, with a 4m whip you’ll need 3m of line, this allows for and 18” hooklength still bringing you 18” short of the whip length, this allows for the bend in the whip when swinging a fish to hand.

Ready made rigs also come with pole floats attached top and bottom, I prefer a small waggler or Drennan Stillwater blue attached bottom only. Really easy to make your own rigs and a lot cheaper too.

On the subject of line, through experience I found using light lines e.g. 3 to 4lb troublesome, the line often wrapped around the tip on casting, I now use a stiffer length of 8lb fluoro with a longer 24” hooklength that may vary between 2 and 4lb.

With the amount of terminology regarding lines,float type,hook size etc,im actually struggling to find a cheap rig to buy a few of .
Probably an all rounder will do me and im big dealing it ,probably get assorted rigs or something.

kimura88

Reaction score
One point to note if you fish a commercial with large carp in you may will get your line snapped
If you fish a commie try and find one with a silvers only pool

Wont be fishing any commercial places just yet,happy fishing simply for bits for a while,then ill try a longer pole eventually.