Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

Quote Originally Posted by kimura88 View Post
    Think that is the one ill go for from the advice I've received in this post.
    Yeah for the price of a mat and ease of storage I can't see why not to, I imagine if I get anything more than a handful I'll be quite clumsy at first so I'd rather lay the fish down and save any harm coming to the fish to be fair
    Do you know if this whip comes with a Stonfo on the tip or do you buy them separately?
    The whip doesn’t come with a connector, I prefer to use the silicone tube method.

2. Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

Quote Originally Posted by kimura88 View Post
    Cheers mate, think I will do, are you sourcing the rigs straight from the manufacturer?
    I got mine from a local shop, they go under the “Carp Match” range.

I just ignored the Carp branding, they come with a range of line strengths and hook sizes, lines are a little heavier than I would make myself, but it’s no bad thing to start and has never hindered me or the kids catching on them.

We just Fish to hand and have had Carp to about 4lb and more silvers than we can count.

The short whip is now my preferred piece of tackle to target Crucian with.

I basically carry the whip every time I go fishing for anything, it passes the time if other methods are slow and it provides me with fast reliable bait when I’m Piking.

Ready made rigs are usually designed for pole fishing, you’ll be using a “long line” on a whip, with a 4m whip you’ll need 3m of line, this allows for and 18” hooklength still bringing you 18” short of the whip length, this allows for the bend in the whip when swinging a fish to hand.

Ready made rigs also come with pole floats attached top and bottom, I prefer a small waggler or Drennan Stillwater blue attached bottom only. Really easy to make your own rigs and a lot cheaper too.

On the subject of line, through experience I found using light lines e.g. 3 to 4lb troublesome, the line often wrapped around the tip on casting, I now use a stiffer length of 8lb fluoro with a longer 24” hooklength that may vary between 2 and 4lb.

Informative thread. Got some 5lb fluro so will try rigging up one of my whips with that and either the smallest Drennan stillwater blue equivalent or a 2" peacock wag.

Blog Entries

The small Stillwater blue equivalent should be fine however I’m not quite so sure about a 2inch peacock wag though, you’ll need a little weight around the float just to be able to cast it; unless you are fishing close in and using a very short whip of course.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-07-2019 at 09:23.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes Keith, just for the little rudd on the drop at the local pond with a 3m or 4m cheapo whip. To be honest i don't have much problem whipping out a pole float to full range so long as the wind isn't being a pain, so a mini wag shouldn't be an issue.

7. Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

I have never used a waggler on a whip, I’m not saying it isn’t the correct way to go... just saying that the cheap pole rigs work fine and catch me and the kids loads of fish. If the rig is too short to fish to hand, you can add your own line to the flick tip and add the rig to that.

Anything over a 4m whip and the rigs will be too short.

No doubt building your own rigs is both cheaper and more versatile and I have no doubt it’s the way the op would likely end up going.... but why not just get a couple made rigs to see if he even likes the method?

Quote Originally Posted by valetudoguy View Post
    I have never used a waggler on a whip, I’m not saying it isn’t the correct way to go... just saying that the cheap pole rigs work fine and catch me and the kids loads of fish. If the rig is too short to fish to hand, you can add your own line to the flick tip and add the rig to that.

No doubt building your own rigs is both cheaper and more versatile and I have no doubt it’s the way the op would likely end up going.... but why not just get a couple made rigs to see if he even likes the method?
    Yes that's what i started on - they were doing the pre-made rigs on winders in packs of 2 for 99p in the shop so i bought loads. Like you said, they are remarkably strong, and the winders themselves are so useful - i like to keep the whip tackled up and at the end of the day put the winder on the pole with a laccy band, ready to go next time.

Quote Originally Posted by valetudoguy View Post

It’s important to stress there is no wrong or correct way, it’s up to the individual to use a method that suits the conditions and the venue.

Most of my whip fishing is for rudd on a very large venue using whips between 6 and 8 metres in length, speed is of the essence when a shoal is present so my set up is most probably a bit more robust than what you might want to use on a canal where a larger degree of finesse is required. The beauty is, a rig can be changed in moments if you have a few made up or bought ready made.

Blog Entries

Back in the late 80s & 90s I used to occasionally use my whips in a couple of team matches on the Thames, when I could amass quite a good weight with 3, 4 or 5 small fish per minute on a good day speed fishing.

I used to carry various small waggler setups that I had previously made up at home and used long shank fine wire hooks without barbs so that I could hold the shank and with a quick twist of my wrist could turn a fish directly into my keepnet and get my float back out into the water again as soon as possible while feeding once or twice per cast and changing my hookbait when needed.

Over the course of a match it was often quite hard work; that’s if I could keep the fish coming of course which unfortunately wasn’t all of the time.
    There were others in my team that could beat me hands down on the whip throughout a match but It was still good fun.

I wouldn’t have dreamt of doing this using a pole float but a small waggler type float was ideal. I could even sink my line below the surface when and if needed, when the fish weren’t taking my bait straight away.

The only time I use a whip these days is when I’m away on holiday and there is a small pond or a canal close bye and I want to have a quick dabble with a few pinkies, but I still carry my whip floats ready made up on winders when I go, and I still have 3 or 4 whips in my tackle room.

My days of speed fishing have long long gone. I’m getting far too old now for all of that

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 13-07-2019 at 09:43.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast