Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    28

    Default New to fishing/pole/canal

    Hello all


    (QUESTIONS IN BOLD TO SKIP THE BORING STUFF)

    A bit about me , im a total beginner now to fishing,i used to fish as a kid and up to teenager but guided and never learnt to actually setup or sort problems,just got set up ,told where to cast to ,and caught fish haha

    Ive got a little bug to get back into fishing every now and then for a chill,all my other hobbies are motorbikes,cars and martial arts

    I plan to fish the canal mostly ,I am Wolverhampton based so the Staffordshire/Worscestershire canal runs very close to my house and used to fish parts of it.

    However ive forgot everything

    So I looked at cheap kit today online and bits of information on poles and whips as I think this is the simplest way to get back into a pleasure fish without spending too much money or getting too complex,except I still have tonnes of questions haha

    First off I was looking at this whip Middy Baggin Machine Whip Ready-to-Fish Package

    Is this ok for a complete beginner not looking to catch huge fish or bag up just yet?

    Also,it has elasticated top kits so im not sure if this is classed as a pole or whip?

    It has 3 top kits,highest is 24 elastic rating,is that really heavy duty and not needed for a canal or are different manufacturers elastics rated at different strengths ?

    The top kits with elastics,do they all have a generic type of way to affix your rig ?

    What is a good rig /elastic combo for just basic canal fishing.Probably going to try get another pre made rig to keep things simple

    Ive kind of put together a little list of what I need for basic fishing,maybe you can add/ subtract


    Pole/whip
    rigs
    shot
    extra hooks
    plummet
    seat/bag
    bait box
    disgorger
    unhooking mat
    rod licence
    landing net
    bait


    Realise its a lot of questions,and may have missed the obvious on some questions
    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by kimura88; 10-07-2019 at 23:27.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    5,185

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    There are others better equipped to advise on canals/poles etc but one glaring omission is a landing net. Tight lines.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    youre right,missed it off my list i wrote but do have one saved to purchase

  4. Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Personally I would advise to go with a non-elasticsted 3 or 4 meter whip with a flick tip/ring connector. Available for well under £10, I have Daiwa and Leeda ones and they are both just as good.

    I would then buy some pre made pole rigs, Leeda do some for about £1.60 that will be plenty good enough. Sizes 14-16-18, a couple of each.

    Forget extra shot and hooks for now.

    Definitely get a plummet, also get a cheap seat and a small tackle box or a seat box.... whatever you preffer or is cheaper.

    Bait box... Yep... full of maggots.

    Disgorger... Yep... x2. Small and Big or 2x double ended ones.

    Forget the unhooking mat for now, spend the money on a landing net instead.

    Licenses / day ticket.... for sure

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,623

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Some good advice above about tackle above but also remember the canal. Keep your stuff organised and close when fishing as dogs may try to pee on your gear. Watch where you put your pole/whip as cyclists will appear out of nowhere so try to put it parallel to the bank when retrieved. Maybe stay away from trees for now to avoid pingin' into them and watch out for overhead cables, oh and dog poo on the banks if it's urban.

    Sounds like a horror list but canals are a lot of fun so enjoy and good luck
    Last edited by theartist; 11-07-2019 at 09:21.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    If it can handle a 24 elastic I wouldn’t classify that as a whip, definitely a pole, maybe a bit too strong and heavy for catching silvers, others will know better.

    I disagree with the above comment regarding a mat, it’s a good habit to get into, always carrying a mat with you. Sooner or later you’ll most probably hook a Pike or larger fish and if landed you’ll need something to lay it on for unhooking, canal towpaths are normally gravelly, tarmac or concrete, not a surface you’d want to lay a fish on.

    Having two of them I can recommend this whip, extremely light but still strong and great fun for catching fish up to a couple of pound. I wouldn’t think you’d need anything longer than 4m.

    Preston Absolute Whip - Benwick Sports Angling Centre

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,426
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Whips
    If you are going to get a whip to fish a canal I would get a nice 4/5 metre one as most good 5 metre and longer telescopic whips come with non telescopic base sections anyway so you can use it at either 4 or 5 metres and if you are using it at 4mtrs and hook something larger you can add the other section to make playing a larger fish and landing it a little easier.

    Also a lot of anglers use Pole floats with their whips without any problems at all and you can fish with these quite happily, there's no hard and fast rule; but whips were not really designed for use with Pole floats and I think you could be limiting yourself slightly by using these all of the time; they were primarily designed to use small wagglers like the ones in the picture below which can be cast overhead or sideways or underarm (unlike a Pole) and reach a bit further even with a little wind.



    Canals usually have a profile similar to the one below and the near shelf where it’s shallow can occasionally stretch quite a few yards out so it’s nice to be able to have a whip that can be cast a little further out when it’s needed.



    Most modern whips come with both flick tip sections and elasticated sections because now and then you might be using it on a predominantly Carp or other large fish lake and need the added security of elastic, but if you are going to be using your whip on an average type of canal then I would much prefer to use a whip with a nice flick tip than an elasticated one; which can handle the occasional fish up to around 3lb*-ish plus every now and then when accidentally hooked.

    Really cheap whips have thick tips with not much bend in them (see picture below showing the difference) so unless you are going to use elastic with it it’s worth paying a few quid extra for a decent whip with a decent flexible flicktip; they are not that expensive to buy anyway.



    Tight lines
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 13-07-2019 at 12:26.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Quote Originally Posted by valetudoguy View Post
    Personally I would advise to go with a non-elasticsted 3 or 4 meter whip with a flick tip/ring connector. Available for well under £10, I have Daiwa and Leeda ones and they are both just as good.

    I would then buy some pre made pole rigs, Leeda do some for about £1.60 that will be plenty good enough. Sizes 14-16-18, a couple of each.

    Forget extra shot and hooks for now.

    Definitely get a plummet, also get a cheap seat and a small tackle box or a seat box.... whatever you preffer or is cheaper.

    Bait box... Yep... full of maggots.

    Disgorger... Yep... x2. Small and Big or 2x double ended ones.

    Forget the unhooking mat for now, spend the money on a landing net instead.

    Licenses / day ticket.... for sure
    Cheers mate, think I will do, are you sourcing the rigs straight from the manufacturer?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    If it can handle a 24 elastic I wouldn’t classify that as a whip, definitely a pole, maybe a bit too strong and heavy for catching silvers, others will know better.

    I disagree with the above comment regarding a mat, it’s a good habit to get into, always carrying a mat with you. Sooner or later you’ll most probably hook a Pike or larger fish and if landed you’ll need something to lay it on for unhooking, canal towpaths are normally gravelly, tarmac or concrete, not a surface you’d want to lay a fish on.

    Having two of them I can recommend this whip, extremely light but still strong and great fun for catching fish up to a couple of pound. I wouldn’t think you’d need anything longer than 4m.

    Preston Absolute Whip - Benwick Sports Angling Centre
    Think that is the one ill go for from the advice I've received in this post.
    Yeah for the price of a mat and ease of storage I can't see why not to, I imagine if I get anything more than a handful I'll be quite clumsy at first so I'd rather lay the fish down and save any harm coming to the fish to be fair
    Do you know if this whip comes with a Stonfo on the tip or do you buy them separately?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New to fishing/pole/canal

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    Whips
    If you are going to get a whip to fish a canal I would get a nice 4/5 metre one as most good 5 metre and longer telescopic whips come with non telescopic base sections anyway so you can use it at either 4 or 5 metres and if you are using it at 4mtrs and hook something larger you can add the other section to make playing a larger fish and landing it a little easier.

    Also a lot of anglers use Pole floats with their whips without problems but whips are not really designed for use with Pole floats and I think you would be limiting yourself slightly by using these; they were primarily designed to use small wagglers like the ones in the picture below which can be cast overhead or sideways or underarm (unlike a Pole) and reach a bit further even with a little wind.



    Canals usually have a profile similar to the one below and the near shelf where it’s shallow can occasionally stretch quite a few yards out so it’s nice to be able to have a whip that can be cast a little further out when it’s needed.



    Most modern whips come with both a flick tip sections and elasticated sections because now and then you might be using it on a predominantly Carp or other large fish lake and need the added security of elastic, but if you are going to be using your whip on an average type of canal then I would much prefer to use a whip with a nice flick tip than an elasticated one; which can handle the occasional fish up to around 3lb*-ish plus every now and then when accidentally hooked.

    Really cheap whips have thick tips with not much bend in them (see picture below showing the difference) so unless you are going to use elastic with it it’s worth paying a few quid extra for a decent whip with a decent flexible flicktip; they are not that expensive to buy anyway.



    Tight lines
    Keith
    Really informative post, thankyou, I'm going to go with the 'true' whip with flick tip and try a pole later down the line I think.
    Would one generally be fishing the near shelf slope mostly with a whip or short pole, aiming to fish the on the bottom on the slope?

    Another question.. What strength line and hook sizes are suitable for this type of fishing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •