Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: new whip tip split ?

Good news, keep the broken tip it may serve you ok for small silvers.

I’ve had carp and bream to 5lb but do occasionally get broken up, not always a large rogue carp doing the damage, smaller tench that think they’re Usain Bolt going off at a 100mph leaves little leeway to play with.

I’ve found when playing a strong fish to allow your wrist to be a little more forgiving sometimes allowing the tip to go under the surface following the fish as best as possible.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I will often use a 10lb mainline, a bit stiffer to reduce the chance of tangles but my hooklength won’t exceed 4lb which so far has always gone ping before the tip has!

I should add, my whip fishing is in snag free open water.
    Last edited by s63; 17-07-2019 at 18:48.

I always stick my rod tip in the water if I get a carp it seems to make them less angry

My current favourite rod is a 6m fibre glass telepole but I removed 2 sections from the bottom so its really light and there is a metal ring in the tip , I found 2 rubber bungs that fit securely in the top and bottom so when I am on the canal it doesn't matter if it takes a little abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Good news, keep the broken tip it may serve you ok for small silvers.

I’ve had carp and bream to 5lb but do occasionally get broken up, not always a large rogue carp doing the damage, smaller tench that think they’re Usain Bolt going off at a 100mph leaves little leeway to play with.

I’ve found when playing a strong fish to allow your wrist to be a little more forgiving sometimes allowing the tip to go under the surface following the fish as best as possible.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I will often use a 10lb mainline, a bit stiffer to reduce the chance of tangles but my hooklength won’t exceed 4lb which so far has always gone ping before the tip has!

I should add, my whip fishing is in snag free open water.
    Ahhh nice bit of info, think the strongest rig I have is 6lb mainline with a 5lb hook length. May grab a few stronger rigs. My fishing will all be canal though.

Quote Originally Posted by kimura88 View Post
    Ahhh nice bit of info, think the strongest rig I have is 6lb mainline with a 5lb hook length. May grab a few stronger rigs. My fishing will all be canal though.
    I would say that for canal fishing you can afford to go a bit lighter on the hooklength, stick with the 6lb main line though.

Blog Entries

I struggle with this, why not use a rod and reel? You can fish light, but have the ability to feed out line if needed. I can see why match anglers want to whip out as many small fish as possible in the shortest space of time, don't think it's great fishing, but understandable. Why would a pleasure angler use these tactics? If there is the possibility of hooking a decent fish, you can use skill with the rod and drag on your reel to land it, often on a very fine set up. Hook it on a whip, you snap off. Sure, use a small, weaker hooklink, but still snap off with a fish on the end.
    What is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I struggle with this, why not use a rod and reel? You can fish light, but have the ability to feed out line if needed. I can see why match anglers want to whip out as many small fish as possible in the shortest space of time, don't think it's great fishing, but understandable. Why would a pleasure angler use these tactics? If there is the possibility of hooking a decent fish, you can use skill with the rod and drag on your reel to land it, often on a very fine set up. Hook it on a whip, you snap off. Sure, use a small, weaker hooklink, but still snap off with a fish on the end.
    What is the point?
    I understand your point ( I hope ) - but does that mean we should all only fish with a rod and reel in case we hook a decent fish ?
    I have fished light on a pole and had some monster take me halfway across the lake and then break the hooklink - does that mean I shouldn't fish a pole light ?

Taking it to its extreme ( which you were not suggesting ) why fish light at all ?

You can land quite sizeable fish on a whip ( 5 plus tench on a canal ) todays lines are still very fine even up to a decent breaking strain.

But the real question is why fish this method at all ?
    Why do people fish with antique reels ?

For the pure pleasure of it
    you are in direct contact with the fish
    you can place you bait very accurately
    you dont get the shadow of a pole
    you dont have to ship a pole in and out
    Whips are cheap ( mine is ) and can take a lot of abuse
    you can reach further with a whip
    Some whips are elasticated

try it you may enjoy it

As above, I could use rod and reel and sometimes will if the fish are beyond the range of my whip. I use the whip in a fashion similar to the pellet waggler method when targeting Rudd, feeding and casting regularly, I just find it an economic, accurate and fun way to fish.

I will say that the whips I use are extremely light both old Daiwa whips, a Harrier and a Pickering Conny, a heavier whip would remove the fun element.

It’s amazing how many carp anglers pop by and watch for a few moments and remark what a fun way of fishing it looks.
    Last edited by s63; 20-07-2019 at 06:50.

They are a great way to introduce kids to fishing too. If you use an elasticated whip even a child can land surprisingly large fish without snapping up.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Blog Entries

Funny thing this whip fishing, I only use a whip in cold weather for small fish. My choice, if others want to use them differently that's their choice.
    My idea of whip fishing is by using a flick tip, elasticising a whip is turning a whip into a pole.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if I needed a 4mtr pole I'd buy a 4mtr beastmaster at around £40.
    Folk buy tackle and use it as they like, and all power to them.
    Personally I have an aversion to elasicating a whip, I'll stick with my ethos, such as it is

Blog Entries

Looking back at the post i made in this thread, i apologise if it seemed offhand.
    I've never fished with a whip or pole, I looked into getting them for the kids, but decided that the chance of them hooking into something sizeable was too great. I thought they would have more chance of landing with a reel, with drag, than without.
    I've snapped off a few times lately due to hooking carp when not targeting them, what do you do when using a whip? I ask this question out of pure curiosity from never having used one. We all get set in our ways and I'm scared to get one because I can't think of anywhere I fish that does not have the chance of hitting into a big lump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast