Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: new whip tip split ?

You answered your question in an earlier post, just use a hooklength that will break before your whip does. My whips as I’ve already said are surprisingly strong and will land fish up to 5lb and often do. I use a 10lb main line and a 4lb hooklength, not coventional but works well for me.

Blog Entries

We used to fish in Ireland with power gum instead of elastic, With 6lb line and 10s hook fishing to hand rather like whip fishing minus the over hand cast.
    Could never call it whip fishing for the simple fact if you tried to cast with a pole the same way as a whip the pole would snap.
    I would never fish with my carbon whips with heavy lines and big hooks. 0.12 main line and 0.08 hook lengths is my maximum, earlier this week I fished my whips. Fish were getting too big for me with regard to whip fishing, they were verging on 8oz so I changed to a short pole. Lucky I did, the fish gradually got larger, I had Roach to 12oz and skimmers to 2lb on wheat.
    Like I said we all have our own ways

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    We used to fish in Ireland with power gum instead of elastic, With 6lb line and 10s hook fishing to hand rather like whip fishing minus the over hand cast.
    Could never call it whip fishing for the simple fact if you tried to cast with a pole the same way as a whip the pole would snap.
    I would never fish with my carbon whips with heavy lines and big hooks. 0.12 main line and 0.08 hook lengths is my maximum, earlier this week I fished my whips. Fish were getting too big for me with regard to whip fishing, they were verging on 8oz so I changed to a short pole. Lucky I did, the fish gradually got larger, I had Roach to 12oz and skimmers to 2lb on wheat.
    Like I said we all have our own ways

I kind of worried about fishing for roach with a whip that contained carp - didnt like the thought of leaving a barbless hook in a fish.

however it turns out the owner of the fishery often fishes that pool with light tackle and a whip
    the pool is not stuffed with carp
    and if they turn up then the whip goes away and out comes the pole or fish for something else

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123