Some questions from an idiot (premade rigs, shot, line)

kimura88

Reaction score
Hello
I managed to grab a few unplanned hours down the canal this weekend gone, as I'm new to fishing I thought I'd just get down the canal, setup and see what happens for a couple of hours.

Few problems I found that I'd like to try figure out before I spend a day fishing properly

I went down with 3 pre tied rigs (off ebay)
The first rig was 5lb main line, 4lb hook length but a 14 hook, I got a few bites on this but never got anything in, I changed to the other lighter rigs thinking maybe the fairly large hook was a problem for tiddlers.??

So the next two rigs didn't come off the winders very easily, one tangled (is there a certain technique to get the rig off cleanly, think I'm being dumb)?

They also would not sit properly in the water,one was high, the other lay flat despite adding shot.

Another thing, on two of the 3 rigs, the line from the float to the tip sat wavy on top of the water and the wind wasn't helping, do you actively straighten this line out with the whip so as you strike, that slack hasn't got to be taken up, or do you let it sit on the water?

Thanks in advance for replies

theartist

Reaction score
I went down with 3 pre tied rigs (off ebay)
The first rig was 5lb main line, 4lb hook length but a 14 hook, I got a few bites on this but never got anything in, I changed to the other lighter rigs thinking maybe the fairly large hook was a problem for tiddlers.??

I think your problem could be solved by binning those ebay rigs, (especially if they are cheap tat) The line sounds a tad too heavy, the hook is a bit too big for the canal and if the whole thing is poor quality then that's your problems right there.

Try going down a good tackle shop and getting some better line/hooks and a bit of advice, explain that your just after tiddlers on the canal

kimura88

Reaction score
I think your problem could be solved by binning those ebay rigs, (especially if they are cheap tat) The line sounds a tad too heavy, the hook is a bit too big for the canal and if the whole thing is poor quality then that's your problems right there.

Try going down a good tackle shop and getting some better line/hooks and a bit of advice, explain that your just after tiddlers on the canal

I hope the rigs were the problem to be honest, NGXT, was the brand I think.
I'd attach the loop, take the top end off the winder and the one unwound by simply pulling gently away from the tip, the other two were a pain

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Sounds like the rigs are fairly poor. Rigs should unravel like how you explained the first one, it also sounds like the others aren’t shotted correctly.

Keith M

Reaction score
Another thing, on two of the 3 rigs, the line from the float to the tip sat wavy on top of the water and the wind wasn't helping, do you actively straighten this line out with the whip so as you strike, that slack hasn't got to be taken up, or do you let it sit on the water?

Thanks in advance for replies

You could use much lighter line together with a small waggler which is attached bottom only, then you could bury your line below the surface with a quick flip on the whips tip; and the wind wouldn’t keep causing you any more problems.

Plus if you moved nearly all of your shot up to the bottom of your float with just a dust shot or two down nearer a much smaller hook you could get bites as your bait sinks, and your problems would be solved.

Keith

Last edited:

kimura88

Reaction score
Sounds like the rigs are fairly poor. Rigs should unravel like how you explained the first one, it also sounds like the others aren’t shotted correctly.

I hope so, I thought I was being really dumb to be honest
The one rig that I couldn't sort out, had one dust shot just before the hook length and two pieces of silicon tubing (float rubbers?)
No other shot, and I read the float and added what I thought was right but no tinkering could make it sit properly
It's all learning though

kimura88

Reaction score
You could use much lighter line together with a small waggler which is attached bottom only, then you could bury your line below the surface with a quick flip on the whips tip; and the wind wouldn’t keep causing you any more problems.

Plus if you moved nearly all of your shot up to the bottom of your float with just a dust shot or two down nearer a much smaller hook you could get bites as your bait sinks, and your problems would be solved.

Keith

Is a heavier line better or worse in the wind? ??????

The rig that actually seemed to work out the packet after finding the depth, seemed to be getting bites that way.
Maybe the hook being a 14 or me being slow or a combination of the two ??????

valetudoguy

Reaction score
You aren’t a million miles away in Wolverhampton, I’m only in Stoke. If you fancy meeting up for a couple hours fishing some time I can show you how I fish. I’m no expert but I’m sure I could at least help some.

Keith M

Reaction score
Is a heavier line better or worse in the wind? ������

A finer line is usually much better in a wind when you’re float fishing; as there’s less line thickness to catch in the wind and current; plus it’s a bit suppler potentially giving you a lot less curl, and making casting any distance a lot easier.

Keith

Last edited:

kimura88

Reaction score
You aren’t a million miles away in Wolverhampton, I’m only in Stoke. If you fancy meeting up for a couple hours fishing some time I can show you how I fish. I’m no expert but I’m sure I could at least help some.

Cheers, I might take you up on the offer soon, I could learn from anyone with more than 2.5 hours fishing experience haha.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If the float is lying flat it means you are fishing too deep you need to lower the float down the line

I attach the loop to my whip and then unwind the rig

Going to a tackle shop is a good idea

mikench

Reaction score
Some good advice there. A rod and line is easier imo. You are not an idiot and I do the self deprecatory here.:rolleyes:

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
When I got back into fishing after a long break, last autumn, I got a 4mtr whip (Middy, 16 quid job) and bought a few of these cheap, but very good pre tied rigs, same as in this link, but from a local tackle shop......
Leeda Carp Match Maggot Pole Rigs - Coarse Fishing Tackle Floats

they were great for pulling out Perch, Rudd, Roach from the canal near me, and got me back into it, and wanting to get a rod and reel set up, still have some fun days with the simple whip set up occasionally. they're pretty cheap easy to use rigs, which will get you catching on maggots and sweet corn and not struggling and being put off in the early outings. :)

kimura88

Reaction score
If the float is lying flat it means you are fishing too deep you need to lower the float down the line

I attach the loop to my whip and then unwind the rig

Going to a tackle shop is a good idea

I thought that at first so re-plumbed and adjusted a few times to make sure. No change at any depth to the flat, think it was my shot to be honest

kimura88

Reaction score
When I got back into fishing after a long break, last autumn, I got a 4mtr whip (Middy, 16 quid job) and bought a few of these cheap, but very good pre tied rigs, same as in this link, but from a local tackle shop......
Leeda Carp Match Maggot Pole Rigs - Coarse Fishing Tackle Floats

they were great for pulling out Perch, Rudd, Roach from the canal near me, and got me back into it, and wanting to get a rod and reel set up, still have some fun days with the simple whip set up occasionally. they're pretty cheap easy to use rigs, which will get you catching on maggots and sweet corn and not struggling and being put off in the early outings. :)

Ah nice ill give them a go, I'm going to go to the tackle shop as see what they have to offer too, get an assortment of decent rigs
I haven't been put off by it to be fair, I used a fair few expletives when the rigs wouldn't unwind properly but I've learnt a bit more, from setting up and then posting up on here, so this weekend should go better. I might even catch some of those elusive tiddlers I fed last week haha

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest you will find that these days the majority of ready made pole float rigs are made for carp puddles with very few designed for small silver fish fishing.

Pole rigs are easy to make up yourself and you can design them exactly to your target species as well as being certain as to line strengths and all knots . . . .

There are many short videos online so you can get all the help and instruction you need. Good luck.

kimura88

Reaction score
To be honest you will find that these days the majority of ready made pole float rigs are made for carp puddles with very few designed for small silver fish fishing.

Pole rigs are easy to make up yourself and you can design them exactly to your target species as well as being certain as to line strengths and all knots . . . .

There are many short videos online so you can get all the help and instruction you need. Good luck.

Yeah that's what I've found and have started looking into making up my own rigs, less problems in the long run I think

Reaction score
You will probably get in a state for a while until you pick up a few things,light line is finer and certainly lines over 3lb bs for roach,bream,perch etc is the maximum,hooklengths under 2lbs is often the norm,hooks 18's to 22's likewise,hope you get sorted and hooked on our wonderful sport/pastime.

kimura88

Reaction score
You will probably get in a state for a while until you pick up a few things,light line is finer and certainly lines over 3lb bs for roach,bream,perch etc is the maximum,hooklengths under 2lbs is often the norm,hooks 18's to 22's likewise,hope you get sorted and hooked on our wonderful sport/pastime.

Yeahh I expect to have problems but it wouldn't be interesting if it was really easy to do, it's a minefield of methods, equipment and technique so it's trial and error for me, few weeks off work coming soon so hopefully can put some time in to it