Advice for trout fishing in rivers

alex_noel

Reaction score
Been out fishing every day this week but only had one bite. Am I doing something wrong? Need advice. Weather, time of day, more still or running, depth etc. Using 3.5g spinners and crankbait

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I rarely fish specifically for trout. However, I do fish the higher reaches of a river that has plenty of trout. I'm a dyed in the wool coarse angler. From all I've seen over the years, if I couldn't use bait, it would be fly fishing that I'd resort to first. I bailiff stretches of the river and spinning is not allowed. I invariably find that the poachers I catch are using spinners. This amuses me no end as they so rarely catch anything on this method.

My suggestion would be that you use bait if it's allowed. Failing that, wet/dry flies and lures are also likely to be more productive than spinners and crankbaits.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m hijacking the thread slightly.

Is trout fishing seasonal? I ask because there is a trout section on the Canterbury Stour controlled by my club which is fly fishing only but from November 1st you can coarse fish the section if you buy an additional ticket.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I’m hijacking the thread slightly.

Is trout fishing seasonal? I ask because there is a trout section on the Canterbury Stour controlled by my club which is fly fishing only but from November 1st you can coarse fish the section if you buy an additional ticket.

Yes, but the bye laws, and exact dates, vary through the different regions of England and Wales. Scotland does its own thing. Plenty of riparian owners overlay further restrictions on top of the applicable bye laws.

None of these bye laws prevent trout being caught out of season, they just can't be legally taken for the pot.

alex_noel

Reaction score
The Season for the river Eden in Fife is March to October. We are allowed to catch and bag 3 brown trout and 3 sea trout per day. Single hooked spinners are allowed as well as bait and lures. Salmon have to be returned. Other rivers in Fife are different and demand catch-and-release even on trout

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk