Lure Fishing in the Kentish Stour

ChrisGA

Reaction score
Hi

I am a long time fisherman but have started lure fishing this year for bass. I have the gear for this and since decided to get a 1-9g rod and small reel. I have a small collection of lures etc. I am based in Herne Bay, Kent. I wanted to have a go at catching some perch on the lures, but before commiting to clubs etc, I wanted to have a crack on the local rivers. It seems the wantsumaa and cdaa own a load of the stour and wantsum. Can anyone point me to a place that shows all of the club waters so I can avoid fishing on them or let me know which sections i can fish please? It seems like an utter nightmare trying to piece all of this info together at times.

Any guidance would be hughly appreciated

Chris

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Chris, welcome to FM

I live close by in Whitstable and fish the river regularly.

CDAA control the stretch between Sturry and Plucks Gutter where Wansum AA take over with a very small free stretch in between.

The river is free to fish between Thanington and Sturry going right through the city. Plenty of pike, chub and perch to be had, the only problem being the streamer weed which is rife throughout the stretch. So weedless and surface lures are about the only lures you can use. I often dropshot just poking into the gaps between the weed beds.

You’ll have to wait til half way through the Winter for the weed to finally relent in January for a few brief months.

Fordwich with the CDAA is much the same but beyond that the river becomes tidal and weed is no longer an issue but the clarity goes, having said that I’ve had plenty of perch and pike on lures from the coloured water.

I started lure fishing for bass last year with small success, this year has been really poor, going to Hythe tomorrow in hope of better things.

How’s you bass fishing been this year?

ChrisGA

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for that, would you say its worth joining the CDAA, if you have of course? I do have some surface lures and some for dropshot so can cover most eventualities. I am assuming that the fishing my slow but is possible through the winter bar the closed period for perch? i.e. they still bite?

I have only started in May for Bass and only had three so far, but I am slowly working things out this year to make the most of next year. I have been looking at marks from Herne Bay to Ramsgate so far, lots of enticing areas, I just need new wading boots as mine fell apart after 5 years on my first session. I have found some good looking areas, its just better at night from what I am told and so as I don't currently have anyone to fish with I only do days, just in case I get washed away. Hope you do well at Hythe, lovely beach during the winter, not fished much during the summer.

Am I right in thinking the bits I have marked yellow are free? Or is it a smaller section?
Canterbury.JPG

Cheers

Chris

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Chris

I’m not sure it’s worth joining the CDAA if its only for lure fishing, if you intend to bait fish then yes definitely join, they have some great waters.

Your map is almost correct, the free section finishing just before it passes under the bridge at Sturry.

I too have realised that most of the bass are falling to lures in darkness, plenty of area to explore between HB and Ramsgate, so far I’ve caught bass from Seasalter, Whitstable and Westgate on Sea, all in daylight hours as I don’t fish at night either.

Many say Hampton pier is the pier of doom but just recently I’ve been watching an old boy that has fished it for many years and in one particular day I watched him catch eight small wrasse and a schoolie, his method couldn’t be more simple just a light running leger with a ragworm on a small Aberdeen hook.

Hythe was ok today (details on the HDYGO thread).

ChrisGA

Reaction score
Might try the Stour this week and see what I can find. Just waiting for a few bits to arrive and then I will be out and about

Will let you if i spot any bass

Chris