Drennan 10/11ft bomb rod

black kite

Reaction score
I have just acquired a Drennan 10/11ft bomb rod but I can’t work out how to add the extension.There is nothing I can find on the internet and I am a bit frightened of breaking the rod. I have a feeling the handle comes off somehow. Any help please?

mikench

Reaction score
I really don't know but if the extension is a dolly butt, the bottom of the rod will have a removable end cap. Remove it and insert the extension piece.

ian g

Reaction score
I have this rod it has two dolly sections , neither have any rod eyes on them , the 11 foot is longer than the 10 ft one obviously , they both just fit into the handle . The fit is a bit tight and I recall when I first got the rod I scratched my head for a bit , luckily my mate also had one.

black kite

Reaction score
The 10ft first section will not pull out of the handle to allow me to replace the 11 ft first section . This rod is new and I don’t want to break it.I have tried loosening off the reel adjustment to move the handle up the rod. It is solid. perhaps I should contact the supplier.
The extension goes into the top of the handle.

mikench

Reaction score
Probably. If you have another person present you could hold the h@ndle end of the rod and ask the other person to hold the other part and gently apply a turning and pulling motion in opposite directions ie you turn your end clockwise and your colleague turns anti-clockwise. I stress the need to do it gently and gradually to separate the 2 sections.

It shouldn’t be like that though.

ian g

Reaction score
Black Kite , I think Mike's suggestion is the way forward . The 10 foot dolly does come out but they are a tight fit and I can understand your reluctance to be to heavy handed.

black kite

Reaction score
Probably. If you have another person present you could hold the h@ndle end of the rod and ask the other person to hold the other part and gently apply a turning and pulling motion in opposite directions ie you turn your end clockwise and your colleague turns anti-clockwise. I stress the need to do it gently and gradually to separate the 2 sections.

Eureka. Got the wife to help me and Bobs your uncle it has come out. Thanks very much for your suggestion it was spot on. Thanks to all the other members as well.

black kite

Reaction score

Thanks Mike. Got the wife to help me and Bobs your uncle it has come out. Thanks to all other members for their help.

black kite

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The pull and twist suggestion did the trick. problem solved

black kite

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. As you have one of these rods any suggestions for a balanced reel to go with it?

ian g

Reaction score
I would say something like a Diawa Ninja 2500 or a Shimano equivalent , 2500 or 3000 . I use mine mainly for perch fishing in slacker water , down the side in the Severn . At 10 foot it's also handy for tip fishing canals . You'll find it very sensitive for bite detection but it's fairly strong , I've caught decent perch on mine and my mate has had chub to 5 lb on his.

steve2

Reaction score
I have 2 of the original 10ft and 11ft 6" used them for my small stream fishing and feeder fishing on commercial match lakes. Excellent rods and a lot strong then you expect the to be. Certainly handled match size carp to around 10lbs.

Reaction score
For gawd sake don't twist! Or - if you must, do it very gently!
The carbon-fibres lie next to each other along the length of the rod and are bound with a resin. If you twist you risk moving the fibes compared to those around them with the danger that they will de-laminate. The result will be a horrible crunching noise followed by a broken section.