Sealey "Octopus ESS" logo

Dom Andrew

Reaction score
Unfortunately it wasn't a bargain. The cane had gone (either a split or delamination) next to the male ferrule in the tip section. There had been an attempt to repair it which hadn't worked. I'm now having to experience the hassle of returning it for a refund.

Well, I hope you can get him to refund the return postage cost too.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I've had to return a rod or two over the years. One of them for £150, which was a little unsettling, but I sent it Next Day, Signed For, at a cost of £6.70, and I had my money within a couple of days.

Other times I've been completey ripped off, no contact, no rod, false details of tracking etc etc. But each time I have got my money back from PayPal, even if it has taken a month or two.

Postage, on the other hand, seems to be a bit of a bug-bear. Sellers rarely accept to refund it, indeed many now write that they will not.

Another issue is people writing that they will not be responsible for loss in the post. As far as I can ascertain any loss must be claimed for by the seller, or postee...the buyer, or addressee has no rights to claim. I did manage to track a lost rod once, the undeliverable all goes to Ireland!, but the Post Office seemed to think I was the seller for some reason;)

In many ways I feel sorry for sellers on eBay. They have been quite deliberately placed at the mercy of unscrupulous buyers by the auction house, just so buyers can deal in confidence. EBay have proved themselves unable to deal with the sheer volume that they have generated, and rather than staff-up and get stuck in, they have dealt with the issue by placing sellers in a no win situation.
I'm sure it the reason there are now several 'other' sites.

Good Luck with the matter Sean. If it doesn't go as you hope for, the complaint procedure does work in my expereience. I suspect that in this case it is the inexperience and lack of knoledge on the part of the vendor that has caused the problem. I don't get the idea he was out to decieve and as such I think he will be anxious for his reputation.

gordie41

Reaction score
Logo

Hi folks - was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get hold of an "octopus ESS" logo for an Edgar Sealey Octofloat rod I am doing up at the moment. The logo is the one in gold and green with the wording "Octopus" "ESS" and Registered trade mark and a green octopus on it

Was clearing out old stuff around the house and found old split cane rod pieces Around, i remember 10 ish years ago buying it in the bar, a guy was short of cash, 3 piece rod but the tip is not part of the rod. Just my luck.

The logo you need is on the rod if you want it its yours im only going to throw them out , but rather someone had them before i decide.