saying hello from across the big pond

uscarper

Reaction score
hello fm, i have been reading your carp forums for awhile now and enjoy them alot. alot of good info. am looking forward to the new fishing season. carp here in my area are virtually untouched.{ considered a rough fish,ie trash fish} but i love them. most of my fishing involves using canned sweet corn on a bolt rig. great fun. very shallow water in a few spots , shallow enough to see 15lb carp take your bait. heart stopping action. because they are not fished here, a handful of corn tossed in and you have a double digit fish before you get your second rod in the water. my pb common is19lb 8oz, pb mirror is 8lb. these are all wild fish. looking forward to hearing from any fishermen or fisherladies out there. good luck to all.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum mate ! I joined a polish fishing forum recently using the translate function built into google chrome www.jerkbait.pl its always fun to here about fishing in other countries although I do admit to feeling a bit jealous when I read your post

uscarper

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome, I am from the southwest corner of the state of Ohio. There is alot of good river fishing here. the river i fish is perhaps 40 ft wide and mostly 3ft deep with a few holes to perhaps 10 ft there are alot of carp in the rivers with some pushing 40lb plus, large grass carp to 50lb. A variety of suckers, close to your barbel only smaller. channel catfish and flathead cats.lgmouth and smallmouth bass. and a relative of the zander, the walleye. very few eels and a pike here or there. i mostly fish for carp, but do fish for the catfish species as well. these are taken bottom fishing live or cutbait. the river has alot of snags so moderately heavy line is used for the cats 20lb test usually. My favorite carp swim is below a large state park dam. its really just a small stream with most water only 2 to 3ft deep with one large hole perhaps 6ft when water is at its normal level, its very clear. clear enough to see your corn on the bottom of the 3ft sections. this is mostly a carp swim. with gravel and small chunk rock and sand bottom . very few snags i use 10lb test here. am looking into some real carp equiptment as i use a bass rod and a semi heavy catfish rod for all my fishing. it works but know there is better out there.will be posting questions soon in the carp forum. thanks again for the welcome.

dezza

Reaction score
Hi Cobber, a big Oz welcome from New South Wales. Good on yer for the intro.

I've been having carp fishing in South Africa very similar to your style of carp fishing, hard scrapping full scale river commons and a style of fish similar to your suckers and European barbel called yellowfish, because they are the colour of a Kruger Rand.

I spent many years of my life in search of large mouth and smallmouth bass, but not in the states, it was in South Africa where they were introduced in the 20s.

The persuit of long lean muscular common carp really interests me. They are great fighters, totally unlike the boilie gutted and tatty finned mirrors you see in many UK waters. Glad to see that you are catching plenty on maize and sweetcorn, proper baits in my opinion.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had heard that carp were considered vermin in USA - glad you enjoy catch and release

That is very true particularly in the Southern States, I lived in both Mississippi and Texas where Carp are definitely classified as 'vermin'

In both States the only time people went after Carp it was usually bow fishing with arrows!

Absolutely true!

Welcome to FM uscarper

uscarper

Reaction score
yes carp are considered vermin here. i release all mine and have convinced a couple buddies to do the same. in our state regs is says they may be taken by any means except nets, traps, electricity:eek:, and firearms:confused:. why anyone would use a firearm is simply crazy. you can shoot them with bows and crossbows, spears, gigs, and snag with a treble hook 1,000 ft below any dam. most are just left on the bank or are thrown on someones feild for fertilizer. when i was young their was quite a few what i recognize as crucian carp in a canal near my hometown. i saw these decimated, everyone caught was killed on the spot. these were large to me, about 3to4lb. suckers, gar, buffalo,shad,goldfish are all considered trash fish here.very sad....Just wanted to say thanks for the replys and great to hear from some of the best on fm:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Welcome to FM Stumpguppy. There are some waters with carp in Florida. Are you anywhere near Titusville?

stumpguppy

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Stumpguppy. There are some waters with carp in Florida. Are you anywhere near Titusville?

in Dunnellon, west of Ocala about 25 miles. Most of the carp waters are all in north west of the state too far for me to go with my old beater car. Titusville's about 3 hours from here , but that depends on the traffic down that way as its really clustered with a lot of people that part of the state.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Okay. If you ever want to try Titusville there are a couple of lakes there with a decent population of bigger fish. You need a boat though as bank space is limited. The guys working in the West Marine shop in Merritt Island had good info.

stumpguppy

Reaction score
Okay. If you ever want to try Titusville there are a couple of lakes there with a decent population of bigger fish. You need a boat though as bank space is limited. The guys working in the West Marine shop in Merritt Island had good info.

grassies? or regular wild carp? here same problem so much water but no bank space to fish, my fox 12 ft rods are a but much to handle in a boat LOL. and I dont really boat much as I cant swim.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Crikey, USCARPER and STUMPGUPPY must be almost on the opposite side of the world NOKNOT in Hong Kong. Brilliant site, FM, at times, bringing the world together..... :D :D

Welcome both of you chaps from the old colonies. :doh: