Old guy back still fishing and tinkering!

laguna

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was a member here on FM a few years ago under another guise and so I have re-registered.
Just a quick intro about me, my fishing and what I do...

As well as a keen pleasure angler I'm also passionate about innovation, a sort of 'tinkering in-the-shed' type of guy!
I'm often torn between the two however, as sometimes when I'm working I would like to be fishing, but then when I'm fishing I would like to be working! :eek::eek:
Very strange I know (it has often been said about me :D), but at least being the owner of a tackle Company and the nature of my work these days, means I can combine both passions which is actually quite handy!

Please let me introduce myself.
Hi, my name is Chris Wilson, I'm a Yorkshire man who first started fishing back in 1968 aged eight years old using one of those thick long bamboo sticks you used to get inside carpet rolls!
If your old enough to remember them, then you will know that they were long, strong and extremely heavy but as i found out; made excellent fishing poles for an eight year olds first few outings!
Being very poor we didn't have the money to buy such luxuries as fishing tackle and so we made do with what we had to hand, although for the life of me I don't remember where it was I got that pole from, as we could hardly afford lino (linoleum) in our house never mind fitted carpets?
Being poor we improvised, we begged, we borrowed, we grew up making things, we adapted and we made our own entertainment just like the rest of the kids in our neighbourhood. It was as good an apprenticeship for any budding design engineer!

Like many adults we first learn the art of angling when we're young, and this passion has remained with me to this day. These days I get to go fishing more often usually to my local commercials, but due to work commitments and family life that wasn't always the case. and so it was, that I reverted to what I call my second hobby; that of designing things in my spare time which fitted in with work and family life much more easily. Actually; just like fishing, I found it to be very satisfying and extremely engaging, it is a very enjoyable and self indulgent pastime and, as with many other things in life which you pursue with a great passion for long enough - it becomes very addictive!

My addiction isn't a bad thing, on the contrary its a healthy if not intense pursuit of an ambition which has drove my wife Barbara nuts, but one which has resulted in the development of some very good products these past years. Some of these ideas I have incorporated into my fishing - sometimes inspired at the lake side or river when nothings happening, you know, when everyone around you seems to be catching and your not!
Yes even an angler with 40+ years of experience will have his or her blanking days but at least my excuse...
"I spend too much time 'tinkering in-the-shed' more than I practice the art of fishing" is as good an excuse as you will hear! Well that's my story anyway.

The design and development of any kind of product, can sometimes be straight forward, obvious and easy. In simplistic terms; you identify a consumer need or a problem however large or small, obvious or not, and work to find a solution which satisfies or solves that problem. Sometimes it can be a subtle improvement to an existing product (a partial solution or adaptation), sometimes it can be something completely new or even radically different!
Personally I take my inspiration from every day experiences such as when I came up with the "Dunkers" biscuit concept some years ago after experiencing that ordinary biscuits when dunked in coffee, simply fall to the bottom of your cup!

Of course we're all aware to some extent of life's little problems, sometimes we actually forget they're there because we often become accustomed to dealing with them routinely or we find our little workarounds which makes things easier for us. To that extent, even though personally I sometimes take 'solving' to the extreme in many cases - everyone is an inventor of sorts.

Sometimes in order to improve a product or method beyond its natural capabilities, a whole new concept of fishing may be required to address the problem which itself often requires a whole new rule book to go along with it.
The introduction of the 'boilie' (originally par-boiled potatoes) is a prime example of this. From the study and understanding of carp feeding behaviour it not only transformed carp fishing, but the tackle and methods used to catch carp were transformed too as this bait had to be presented beside the hook not penetrated by it.

Never in the history of angling to my mind, has a single bait product influenced the way we fish so much as the boilie - spawning a whole new industry, especially in the UK!

As with the case of the boilie and the 'hair' that is used to present it, sometimes its not the fault of existing products but a particular fishing method that needed to change, and in order to catch more fish in future and maximise your potential even further - as in our "Aqua-SPAWN™" product (the most absorbent bait in the world) and our new "SAC™", "SAC(ps)™" and "SAC(gps)™" concepts for example, a whole new way of thinking is required and that's where things get really interesting!

If Admin allows I'll make mention of a few angling products developed to date, and of course I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about the future of LAGUNA FP LTD and what might be in store for everyone.

May all your fishes be bigger tomorrow!

Chris

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks Peter,
We have already identified FM as a possible ad medium for the future.
Hopefully a simple reference without links is permitted.

Chris

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Welcome back Chris.

first started fishing back in 1968 aged eight years old using one of those thick long bamboo sticks you used to get inside carpet rolls! .... Being very poor we didn't have the money to buy such luxuries as fishing tackle and so we made do with what we had to hand,
Nah, come on. You were just behaving to your natural Yorkshire tendencies! :D:D:D

Let's hear of these inventions, I can't wait.

I'll do it for you here -

YouTube - CARP Hook Bait Aqua-SPAWN (LAGUNA Fishing Products)

This looks good stuff. Where can you buy it from and - how much?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Peter reminds us of the rules on adverts on FM Jeff puts a link up Guess which one is getting the free products
What he posted wasn't strictly speaking, an advert nor was there a link to an advert. It's a very fine line at times.

The interesting thing is the product, which he is informing us about. The use of fish roe of any kind is banned by EA bye-laws and yet it is a most successful bait. However, this stuff is not animal as such and would therefore be permitted. I think only right that we should know about it.

I wish! Very little free comes my way, I can tell you, and certainly not any Aqua-Spawn. However, my thanks to Merv, as always, pointing me to one of my favourite shops.

A QUESTION THOUGH - In the Ebay listing it states they're for margin fishing. Does this mean that they won't withstand casting, Chris?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks guys what a nice welcome! :)

What he posted wasn't strictly speaking, an advert nor was there a link to an advert. It's a very fine line at times.
Jeff I agree, It's a very fine line as to what can be said by a manufacturer without breaking rules. Hopefully a mention here and there is enough to inform anglers of new products and methods to help them, which believe it or not; is my real intention despite my inherent Yorkshire disposition :D

Oh yes, and the odd impartial link/appraisal from existing members cant do any harm either... you never know what the benefits might be :wh

FM was a very good forum before it closed and I was deprived of a good resource containing some excellent posts, articles and features. Returning now I can already see it's reincarnation is by far the very best there is and I am honoured to be a part of it once again. I will try and contribute as much as I can as well as communicate with the owners to discuss future advertising possibilities too.... at Yorkshire prices! :D:D

This looks good stuff. Where can you buy it from and - how much?
Angling Times did a feature on Aqua-SPAWN™ this week (P.7) but for some reason or other they didn't mention the price, our Company name or provide contact info?
A quick search on Google should reveal it though ;)
Good ROI for stockists/resellers -wholesale prices by request, or retail (RRP) direct via our site early next month. The eBay listings (intro offer) will end shortly but other resellers may well want to choose this same avenue?
Please contact me if anyone is interested in stocking/distribution.

BTW, the AT article suggests Aqua-SPAWN™ can more than "double in size in water", but this is not exactly true. The product actually expands and takes on any flavour/water mixture to more than 200-400 times its own weight - expanding anywhere between 4-15mm depending on how much & the type of liquid you prefer to add. Aqua-SPAWN™ is very much open to experimentation by the individual angler looking for that edge.
Instructions for activating with liquids are printed on the insert label provided plus there is an in depth technical article on the site too.

My thanks to Merv, Lord Paul, Jeff, teztench and of course not forgetting Peter ;)

Chris

laguna

Reaction score
Sorry Jeff I missed this one...
A QUESTION THOUGH - In the Ebay listing it states they're for margin fishing. Does this mean that they won't withstand casting, Chris?

Originally they were developed as a margin bait to be shipped out in a pole cup as you would paste (due to their delicate nature) as they can contain as much as 99%+ water/flavour and is prone to hook tear. As you might imagine a bait so loaded is very delicate especially at 15mm fully expanded to max size but there are easy options...

Firstly, and by far the easiest way to cast them out, is to prepare them by 'activating' with any water/flavour of your choice to say about 8-10mm, hook or hair rig with a large meat stop and chuck out.

The second method is very similar in that you can activate them to a smaller size just the same but use them as a cluster on a long hair or maggot clip and cast without any problems.

The third method is to adopt the American way (they use real fish roe by the way) :eek: and use 'egg spawn sacking' material (this is a complimentary product we are looking into), if you cant get hold of any its just as easy to use the missus tights/pantyhose :D

Irrespective of what method you choose, Aqua-SPAWN™ will still continue to expand in the water releasing any flavours and attractors, so if you cast out using a 8mm spawn bait for example it will eventually expand to 12-15mm over the course of a couple of hours - depending on the water quality and additives used.

I am obviously bias but Aqua-SPAWN™ has largely replaced my fishing with boilies these days as they can be loaded with much more flavour and attractors (the most absorbent bait in the world - fact!) and can be near critically balanced in the water at full size. If not eaten or disturbed they will remain on the hair in the water for many weeks! - even I can catch something by then though! :D:D:D

We have also designed a unique "Spawn-Stop" for use with the product, also good to use with soft meat, cheese etc. but that's another story...

Chris

Reaction score
Ok. I think we are starting to cross the boundary into product promotion and marketing. :eek:

In fact that last question, Jeff, reminds me of those cheesy product demonstrations on cable tv where the plugger demonstrates how his/her products chops 450 different vegetables, ends world poverty, polishes your car, makes you an animal between the sheets etc etc. whilst the "independent interviewer" from the cable tv station asks leading questions whilst being totally amazed by the answers.:rolleyes::wh:D:D:D:p:p

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I am asking a serious question. One that I need to know the answer to.

It's about fishing at the moment, no different than if someone else had discovered these baits.

Reaction score
Sorry Jeff..no problem with you asking questions but....

Let's imagine that Patrick Leigh starts posting again; which would be nice. He then mentions a new product or two of Pallatrax. Then in the course of 3 posts he mentions those trademarked products or associated trademarked products at least 10 times. In my mind that's product placement /advertising.

Now it's great Chris is back. I hope his product is successful BUT we've pulled other similar promotional posts more quickly...in fact the recent moderation activity has been dealing with those issues.

It is difficult in that when we have new product appear it's great to get as much information as possible about it and the uses but there are outlets for this on FM through the Product Review facility and the commercial advertising aspect.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I am asking a serious question. One that I need to know the answer to.

It's about fishing at the moment, no different than if someone else had discovered these baits.

Oh yes it is Jeff

It not any other angler - it's soemone associated with the company - and that's the diference

Poshers - let's not get Patrick back - truth is he promided me some freebies about 5 times on emails then never same up with the goods :eek:

Reaction score
I know m'lud..these big companies...I now always point out that "Pallet Racks", "Dai- Wah (Welsh Dub Angling)" and "Kristo-night The Bivvie Bevvie" have failed to come up with any inducements or rewards for my shameless product placement.

Now add to that "Dr. Dre Naan" the Hip Hop Indian bread-maker and Angling Supplier -have not even sent me a blunt hook in recognition of my praise of their new colour themed range!!

At least you can always rely on "Tickle-Tackle" theirs are the best promotional stickers in the business (usual address thanks Kev!!)

Steve King

Reaction score
Very strange! Blatant spamming edited by one mod, but positively encouraged by another!

I know of other sites (Land Rover, not fishing ones) where the spammer would have had his post deleted and a warning sent!