Returning angler

dalesman

Reaction score
I gave up fishing 8 years ago to enable me to return home and to care for both my parents whom were suffering with dementia till august last year, at the time I donated all my tackle to a local angling project get young people in to fishing.

Since the passing of my parents, I have been fishing with my old bruce walker ctm glass match rod and pin/410 reel on the swale and the local beck in the village,which has not been fished much in 20 years.

I am looking to up date my tackle first starting with a float rod to start with, I have been to my loal tackle shop and he just seems to be pushing old stock and advising I need a puddle chucker/pellet waggler what ever that is.

I will be fishing woodlands at thirsk the original pond (roach,rudd and tench), from time to time and many of the brick pits on local farms as well, and the village beck holding grayling, chub to 6lb and trips to the swale at morton 2 miles away.

I am looking for a suitable float rod to trott and for still waters, is there such a thing. Every thing seems to be prefixed with carp, done the carp thing sitting behind buzzers just want to relax and enjoy the sport again.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just get yourself a standard 12/13' match rod to start with. It'll cover all the water that you are talking about (and I'm familiar with everywhere you are talking about;)). If you get further into it then it might be the time to look to the slightly more specialized (pellet waggler or everything prefixed by carp) rods. If you are going to spend the majority of your time on the commercial ponds rather than Bedale Beck or the Swale then the tackle shop may well be giving good advice in the suggestion of a Drennan Puddle Chucker or another brand of pellet waggler rod.

May I ask which shop you are using? I have my suspicions but your description doesn't particularly sound like the fella that I've known for over twenty years. If it is Andy at Northallerton you are talking about, then talk to him. Tell him what you really want and which venues you'll be fishing. He'll give you the best advice possible. He's no angling slouch and does know his stuff.

P.S. you are right that everything seems to have a carp label chucked at it these days. However, that may well have nothing whatsoever to do with sitting behind two/three rods and buzzers. The carp label is used more and more due to the predominance of commercial fisheries stuffed full of small carp. A carp waggler or carp feeder rod are for extracting these carp, not thirty pounders from a huge gravel pit.;) By the way, the original pond, Willowgarth, at Woodlands has a boat load of carp in there too. The tench and bream both go to in excess of five pounds and the carp exceed twenty. When the fish are feeding hard in the summer months you'll be lucky if the roach and rudd get a look in.

Last edited: