new/old man

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Used to fish many years ago, coarse, then fly.

Retired a couple of years ago and, having recovered from heart surgery, started up again last year.
I've been fishing stillwaters to get back into the swing of things, but now eagerly awaiting the river season and my favourite fish, the chub.

I'm here to learn...my old mitchell 300 is still ok, but the rods have changed a lot.
...and no-one seems to use my old favourite tucked half-blood knot these days. It still works for me :)

beerweasel

Reaction score
Welcome Frank,
I'm a chub fan as well, what part of the country do you fish ? :w

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Welcome Frank,
I'm a chub fan as well, what part of the country do you fish ? :w

Thanks all for the welcome.

These days I fish Lancashire and West Yorkshire. That's going to be the Ribble and Wharfe mainly.
The Trent around Nottingham is my Shangrila tho :)

Morespiders

Reaction score
Welcome back Frankie Baby, nothing wrong with your Mitchell 300 mate , I still have eight all in use still

watatoad

Reaction score
I regularly fish with Mitchells 300's, 308's and 440's all dating back to the 1960's or the newer ones the 1970's no problems with them at all.

Rods have changed a lot but Wychwood are not bad, Drennan are very good, but probably nothing wrong with your old rod I can often be found with a 1966 ABU Mk 5 or a Abu legerlite 123 dating back to the 1970's. My first choice would probably be to have a careful look at the Drennan range.

Reaction score
It's nice to know I'm not the only one coming back from a long break, don't give up on your 300, my 25+ year old 440A Match is still as good if not better than any of today's offerings,

Maurice