hello all

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Hello my name is simon. I'm looking at getting back into fishing after a long lay off. Could somebody point me in the right direction as in rod and reel outfit. Like I say it's been a long time. I'm after a float rod and reel for small rivers and a few commercials. Thanks in advance.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Welcome Simon.

If you're just getting back into fishing I'd look at some of the gear from Dragon Carp as it won't break the bank and will last at least until you get your head around all the myriad of different stuff on the market these days.
Although it's called Dragon Carp they also sell decent coarse gear and they have a website.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
My brother has some of the Dragon carp stuff it's not bad. But I don't mind spending a few quid. I've got a budget of about £200 for a rod and reel. And another £100 for other bits and bobs. My confusion is reels front drag, rear drag, big pit and so on.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
How much !!!!

For that money there's loads of good quality stuff on the market. Have a look at the Daiwa range they have something for everything.
Personally I like rear drag reels as being ham fisted I can adjust the drag easily during a fight.

It all depends on whether you are after carp/barbel or float/feedering for other species in relation to size of reel and which rod.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
How much !!!!

For that money there's loads of good quality stuff on the market. Have a look at the Daiwa range they have something for everything.
Personally I like rear drag reels as being ham fisted I can adjust the drag easily during a fight.

It all depends on whether you are after carp/barbel or float/feedering for other species in relation to size of reel and which rod.

Thanks for the reply. Like yourself I'm ham fisted so rear drag may be the way to go. It will be float fishing. Mainly for small carp and the odd trip to the river for whatever I can catch be it small roach or dace.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
If that's the case then I'd go for a 30 sized reel with plenty of ball bearings, a couple of spools (so as to accommodate differing line strengths) minimum, and a couple of rods.
One for commercial carp float fishing at maybe 11-12ft with a bit of backbone, and another at 12ft for the river (something like a tip action stick rod). For £200 that's well within your reach.
Reel wise have a look at the Okuma range. Not going to break the bank and for the money you have you should be able to get one for each rod.

Pop down to a decent tackle shop and have a look and try of a few rods/reels, try them together and if it's a decent shop they won't try and sell you something you might not need at this time, like Shimano reels at a hundred quid a go, or Hardy rods that cost even more.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
If that's the case then I'd go for a 30 sized reel with plenty of ball bearings, a couple of spools (so as to accommodate differing line strengths) minimum, and a couple of rods.
One for commercial carp float fishing at maybe 11-12ft with a bit of backbone, and another at 12ft for the river (something like a tip action stick rod). For £200 that's well within your reach.
Reel wise have a look at the Okuma range. Not going to break the bank and for the money you have you should be able to get one for each rod.

Pop down to a decent tackle shop and have a look and try of a few rods/reels, try them together and if it's a decent shop they won't try and sell you something you might not need at this time, like Shimano reels at a hundred quid a go, or Hardy rods that cost even more.

Thanks for your help. I can now annoy the missus be spending the next few hours on the internet looking at rods and reels for ideas. I'll have a pop down to my local tackle shop at the weekend. Thanks again.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) welcome to the forum simon, I hope you enjoy fm.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.