Hello

durham-newbie

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to fishing - well, used to fish in my teens, 20+ years ago, but either didn't learn much or can't remember much, so makes me new to fishing.

Looking forward to picking up some tips and tricks around the forum, but if anyone has any 'brand-new-to-fishing-do-this' tips then please fire away.

Thanks,

john step

Reaction score
Welcome. Angling has changed a bit in those years. Nice to see so many newcomers to the sport.
Ask away:)

durham-newbie

Reaction score
I've seen an absolute bargain on gumtree near home. £800 worth of gear for £120 - it has a chair and brolly among loads of other tackle. Granted, not something I need tomorrow but may make my entry to the sport a little more comfortable. So tempted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Dave

Reaction score
I've seen an absolute bargain on gumtree near home. £800 worth of gear for £120 - it has a chair and brolly among loads of other tackle. Granted, not something I need tomorrow but may make my entry to the sport a little more comfortable. So tempted...

What else is there to make up the £800? I guess it depends if you can be bothered to sell on the bits you don't like.

It might also be worth cherry picking certain items, someone's wife was advertising a load of carp gear on the local selling site as a job lot but she let me have a pretty nice guest chair for £5.

JackGE

Reaction score
Welcome to FishingMagic! I've realised the ad is now gone, did you go for it?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to Fishing Magic.

I was new to angling three years ago. I am now 61, so I was a late starter! At the time I knew nothing about fishing, and I bought a 'starter kit' (mine came from Argos). Three years, on I have upgraded the rods and reels but what it taught me was what I needed to get started.

At the time there was a good video from Matt Hayes available on YouTube, but that seems to have been taken down due to a copyright dispute (?). There is another shorter one HERE, which is him selling his gear but the basics are all there if you need them.

I have been writing my fishing journey from zero to now, including what I bought first and how I discovered what was what. I am still writing it now, but the first post is 'What's a plummet?

You can find my blog by following the like in my signature (latest posts) or if you want to start from the beginning click HERE. The first few post are where you are at the moment, and they show all first gear as it arrives.

I hope this helps.

Ralph.

greenie62

Reaction score
Welcome to the FM Mad-house.

Hope you are picking-up some food ideas and tips from the forum - so far.

I would endorse fishplate42's comments on his journey. He started posting and blogging on here as he started fishing - with a very easy-to-read writing style. Many of us (more senior/experienced) anglers held our breath and tongues a bit when he was starting with an Argos kit - but he managed to survive that by getting out and trying it himself - acquiring more kit as he realised what was needed.

His Blogs are well worth reading as a newbie. If collected together and Edited by someone with the necessary expertise :)confused::eek:) could probably be publishable as a "Getting started in fishing" book!

Keep us informed how you're getting on with your return to the scene!
Tight Lines:thumbs:

durham-newbie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments.

Welcome to FishingMagic! I've realised the ad is now gone, did you go for it?

I did indeed, and now the gear is home and I've checked it over, I think it was an absolute bargain. The rods are selling on eBay for £60+ each, and the chair was about £120 new I think without the accessories.

durham-newbie

Reaction score