Hello from Devon

meadows74

Reaction score
Hi from Devon
Just to give you a quick recap of my background, I have been fishing for around 9 years and as a late comer fell into the path of only fishing for carp through the pull of social media directing me down a certain path.
Now I have decided to step back from the speci carp route and try to explore the joys of catching other species. I suspect many others go about it the other way. Anyway hoping to meet some others who enjoy a bit of banter and are as obsessed about fishing as I am.

thecrow

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, you will find plenty of banter on here as well as obsession, have you tried fishing for carp in a way that's different to the accepted methods it can be good fun and the size doesn't matter.

meadows74

Reaction score
I have often thought of trying to use a waggler or a method feeder and even bought both but something always switched in my brain to revert back to the common publicised techniques, pop ups, zig fishing, wafters etc. I have caught carp up over 20lb but never caught a tench, perch etc. Relised time to enjoy all aspects of fishing. So this year going to just have fun with it and make it about getting out fishing rather than only chasing the bigger lumps about.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. If you are anywhere near the Grand Canal starting at Tiverton it used to be very good for tench.

slaphead

Reaction score
Welcome, don't forget that there are lots of other species out there to whet your appetite. :)

rubio

Reaction score
Welcome mate.
Hope you have some fun on here and of course on the bank. I'm sure you will soon be extolling the virtues of Gudgeon now that you've forsaken the dark world of carp fishing.

stevejay

Reaction score
I hear there is a pike or two in there as well, it is on my hitlist

Grew up on the banks of the Grand Western Canal, or Tiverton/Tivvy Canal as it is known by locals.

Know it isn't as good for tench these days - more bream though, plus the occasional carp. Plenty of pike, especially out towards Halberton and Sampford Peverell.

Very clear, despite the horse drawn barges, and so weedy in summer, but still my favourite venue, even though I haven't fished it for several years.