Starting again after 35 years

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, my name's Laurence but everyone calls me Lol.
I've come back to fishing after a LONG lay off down to a throw away comment made to a friend "let's have a days fishing" - despite neither of us having any tackle!

Needless to say the bedroom is beginning to look like a branch of Angling Direct and other fine stores and I haven't made it out yet!

I'll be doing coarse stuff on local lakes and possibly a bit on the canal for some Perch. I'm not targeting any particular species, I just want to catch something!

I've bought from the budget range of stuff, a Shimano float rod, a Fladen Xtra Flexx feeder rod and a "must have for £10" NGT multi-wand which I hope to snare a few perch with. Reels are a Drennan Red for float and a Lineaeffe 50 series for feeder work. If anything proves inadequate/breaks I can always spend a few more quid on something better.

I've bought what I believe to be good quality lines, Maxima and DurFlo (?), Kamasan hooks etc, got my rod license and a membership of a local club to fish their waters.

All I need now is a clear day!

If I ask what appears to be a daft question, well that's just how my brain works :)

Cheers, Lol

john step

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Things have changed in some departments. Bait is one, with all the pellets and pastes etc. Fish are still fish though. The water needs to warm up more after this long cold winter. Keep us posted as to your progress.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Lol, welcome back to the fold.

If you have any problems starting off again there are plenty of people on here who will be willing to help you.

I look forward to reading about your catches on the “How did you get on” thread.

Tight lines
Keith

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have to say the biggest change I have noticed is how cheap tackle is! 40 years ago I paid £7 for a reel and it was not a patch on what £5 will get you these days, same with the price of rods.
There's also the method feeder and all the plastic lures. There also seems to be a "rod for everything" these days whereas I'm sure you could fish quite happily in a number of disciplines with a small collection of rods, although all this tackle is a boon for the kit junkies like myself.
I can honestly say that in 5 years of fishing I caught two fish, a 2 oz gudgeon and an eel, so if I get hooked up into something big I'll be quite terrified!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Welcome, you will get plenty of help and advice on here, It is a good friendly ( or so it seems to me) group on here,
are you the same Lol as on Maggotdrowners ? If you hit into anything big let me know then I will know what to do :thumbs:

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, you will get plenty of help and advice on here, It is a good friendly ( or so it seems to me) group on here,
are you the same Lol as on Maggotdrowners ? If you hit into anything big let me know then I will know what to do :thumbs:

Yes mate I'm the same one as on Maggot Drowners. "Big"? Like I say to the wife it's all relative, and when referring to fish then I mean anything above a pound!

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Lol, nice to hear there's another angler from - roughly - these parts on here. Derbyshire's a big county, though; you could be nearer Stockport or even Sheffield than Derby. You mentioned a canal - would that be the T+M?

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi kev, I'm from sunny Chesterfield so I'm close enough to Mansfield to be able to visit if I HAD to but far enough away so as not to be overcome by the despair :)

The canal I was referring to is the Chesterfield one, which is more like a sludgy stream in Chesterfield but still has some reasonable carp, pike and perch in it by all accounts :)

Cheers, Lol

p.s. if you're a football fan don't bother insulting my local team, I hate them as well :)

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi kev, I'm from sunny Chesterfield so I'm close enough to Mansfield to be able to visit if I HAD to but far enough away so as not to be overcome by the despair :)

The canal I was referring to is the Chesterfield one, which is more like a sludgy stream in Chesterfield but still has some reasonable carp, pike and perch in it by all accounts :)

Cheers, Lol

p.s. if you're a football fan don't bother insulting my local team, I hate them as well :)

I have a dentist in Dronfield so I always approach Chesterfield with fear. Have you looked on Youtube? There's a couple of videos of fishing on your local cut - the fishing looks more than reasonable. As for local football teams, I have no comments. People who live in glass houses......