Need advice

Reaction score
Hi all I use to do fishing years ago with my brother in law built up half decent equipment then it all got stolen
Anyway years later I’m now a dad and my youngest lad has decided he wants to go fishing
I’ve been to local fish shop which have been there for decades I’m looking at Daiwa pellet waggle rod I think it’s called for around £60 and a reel for around £30 but can’t remember what make
Would the rod be a good starting point for me
The shop will help me or guide me on not the cheapest of stuff but not the dearest either
Has any one got any other make of rod reel etc which could be just as good
Obviously don’t want to go fishing with lad (also need equipment for him too) and end up with inferior equipment which will just ruin the whole experience I’d rather spend a little bit more as long as it makes the experience enjoyable as opposed to us both being infuriated due to not having good stuff to start with

Kind Regards

Kirk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Kirk,
there is lots of acceptably decent gear for very little money these days. However, you need to think about the venues you are fishing, the methods employed, and the fish likely to be caught to ensure you get something that will give you maximum enjoyment and ease of use. The rod you are talking about may not be the best proposition if you are intending to fish light wagglers for anything with fins. Pellet waggler is a method that usually employs fairly chunky, short rods and relatively heavy line. It can work brilliantly on modern commercials that are full of carp of a pretty reasonable size. However, if you are fishing a club water with lower stock density and smaller fish, it may not be so effective. You may also find that the average pellet waggler rod doesn't cast a smaller waggler quite so efficiently. That may not be the case for all rods of that ilk, they aren't all the same, despite the names.

You don't need to spend a fortune on rods and reels, at least until you are up and running. Even then, you may never feel the need to spend much on rods and reels, plenty don't. Choose wisely and a £30 rod and £20 reel will be perfectly acceptable for many people for many years. However, it's absolutely vital that you make choices based upon the actual venues you are going to fish.

Reaction score
Hello Sam Vines

Thank you for the advice I could probably have the got the name of the rod wrong then ahhh a feeder rod I think he said why I’ve got the other stuck in my head no idea
But it is a Daiwa it has a nice blue colour at the handle end if that helps I would be fishing mainly lakes canals ponds with my son as we won’t be doing serious fishing and as for what we would be actually trying to fish for no idea lol tench perch may be a few carp if we’re lucky enough to catch one
But then there also the question of type of floats we need and types of hooks and what bait we should be using
Also what would be the best knot to use for tying the hook on to line
Any help or advice would be nice
Thanks for your adice

sam vimes

Reaction score
But then there also the question of type of floats we need and types of hooks and what bait we should be using Also what would be the best knot to use for tying the hook on to line

There are no definitive answers here. Everything will depend on the venue, the method employed, bait used and the fish likely to be encountered. Even then, you could ask five different experienced anglers and get wildly different answers.

In your shoes, I'd initially look to use maggots for anything with fins, be that float fishing or bomb/feeder. Knots and type of hooks tend to come down to personal preference. I would invariably use spade end hooks unless I'm using relatively heavy methods. However, I'm well aware that many anglers have never used a spade end hook in their lives. Float choice should come down to the depth of the water in front of you, the bait being used and how sensitive you need the set up to be.

Reaction score
Ahh I see so it’s down basically to personal choice etc
I will go with what I think but keep a sharp eye on my wallet so as not to get ripped off so to speak
Thanks for your speedy advice and responses Sam

sam vimes

Reaction score
No worries we’ll i shall look forward to learning and see where this adventure leads to with my son

Go to your local tackle shop with the names of the fisheries you intend to fish. Stress that you are beginners and just want to catch a few fish in the most uncomplicated, and most effective, way possible. Try not to let them sell you stuff that you don't need yet. If they are any good, they should be well able to see you right for minimal cost.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There used to be a good tackle shop in Shaw, I am not sure if it is still there, you should be able to verify that, Go to Ted Carters in Preston, they will help and advise you and in my experience of going there they will not rip you off, in fact they will do a price match where possible. steer clear of places like go outdoors, they are shop staff if the one near me is anything to go by, Once you find a good tackle shop, keep with it.