Newbie but not a Fisher!

sues1958

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, my name's Sue and I've joined this lovely group with the hope that someone can help me. My dad who was avid fishermen for many many years unfortunately passed away recently at the age of 84yrs. I am his only next of kin so I have the task of sorting out his stuff.
I have all his fishing gear he accumulated over the years. Many rods and REELS but I have no idea if it's worth anything or not. I'm hoping someone on this forum will be able to help me. Sorry for the long intro x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Many folk on here who have tons of knowledge on rods and reels, so someone should be able to help you.

Pics a great help, but if this is difficult then a really full description of each item will obviously do just as well...

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I'm very sorry for your loss, I hope he caught every fish he ever dreamed of. The names of a lot of things will be printed somewhere on the item more likely than not.

john step

Reaction score
Sue. Sorry about your Dad. What I did for a neighbour whose husband died was dispose of the surplus left over gear that wasn't sold to a cause that gets wayward kids back on track...hopefully....by getting them into fishing.

Run in conjunction with THE ANGLING TRUST..details on line. They have regional representatives and one came and picked the stuff up.
I think your Dad would be pleased some of it went to a good cause and got used..

sues1958

Reaction score
Sue. Sorry about your Dad. What I did for a neighbour whose husband died was dispose of the surplus left over gear that wasn't sold to a cause that gets wayward kids back on track...hopefully....by getting them into fishing.

Run in conjunction with THE ANGLING TRUST..details on line. They have regional representatives and one came and picked the stuff up.
I think your Dad would be pleased some of it went to a good cause and got used..
Thanks John for the info. I will certainly bear that in mind.

sues1958

Reaction score
Many folk on here who have tons of knowledge on rods and reels, so someone should be able to help you.

Pics a great help, but if this is difficult then a really full description of each item will obviously do just as well...
Thank you for your reply. I do have a list of what there is, which I've taken from what's written on the gear.

sues1958

Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss, I hope he caught every fish he ever dreamed of. The names of a lot of things will be printed somewhere on the item more likely than not.
Thankyou, my dad has been a fisherman for at least 60 years to my knowledge. I have some trophies he won over the years in his local angling club.
I have written down the names on the rods and reels, so I have a list ready for anyone who can help.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
try the general fishing thread to start off, Like John I sometimes get tackle to dispose of for people, some of it is not usable due to breakages,but in the batch is some good stuff, I give to any junior I know who is starting out or to Save The children Charity Shop,
I am very sorry for your loss, and also welcome to a friendly forum,

sues1958

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I have..

Shimano Hi Power Carbon XMR390 3.6m 3 sections

Browning Pro + 1.10 9 sections

MTDI X Strong Carp 5th Dimension 4 section 3.8m

Popular Twin Tip Leger/Quiver 11ft (3.30m) RD868 Carbon Composite (one tip looks broken off?)

DAIWA Matchman LEGER 3160 9ft

Shimano SDR 9-11ft Beast Master light medium feeder DA- SP 3 tips

Cladding Sealey Fly Rod

White Star Fly Rod

There is also a number of poles not named, dont have any rings on for the line to go through and have elastic running through some with a bit of rubber on the end? see picture

These are the REELS...

EVOX CARPRUNNER50

QUICK CBI35

SHIMANO NEXAVE 3000R

ABU CARDINAL 54

I also have floats, line, shot etc and 3 nets

Thank you

Sue
0a7b96e1ea6e3eb5d3f7a62f0fdcac4d.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Have the poles got a brand name on the large diameter sections ?It may be faded.I cant make any names out, ( using a steam powered laptop ) but one looks like a Browning Pro UK, which you have already named, I am going by the blue band on the butt section and the spiral weave on the other sections. Looking at the other and purely going by the butt section, the other is Possibly a Daiwa Jaguar ?
If so both poles are 25 + years old.

sues1958

Reaction score
Have the poles got a brand name on the large diameter sections ?It may be faded.I cant make any names out, ( using a steam powered laptop ) but one looks like a Browning Pro UK, which you have already named, I am going by the blue band on the butt section and the spiral weave on the other sections. Looking at the other and purely going by the butt section, the other is Possibly a Daiwa Jaguar ?
If so both poles are 25 + years old.
I will have a look for a name. I would say you are right about the age, probably most are 20+ years old.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A good condition Abu cardinal 54 rear drag real is worth anything from £45 upwards,

Is the quick CB 135 a closed faced reel ?

The Shimano reel would have been around £40 when bought new.

The Evox Carprunner 50 would have been around £20 when bought new.

The Daiwa Matchman leger is from the 1980's and could be worth anything from £20 to £40 depending on condition.

Is the Gladding sealey fly rod made from cane or fibreglass ?

The shimano beastmaster are going from £40 upwards on ebay

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Sounds like none of it is worth that much, consider charity? Someone else would get a lot of love out of them

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Hi Sue, I have sent you a private message with details of possible contacts in your area.

daniel121

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

Sorry for your loss, dealing with love ones stuff after Is absolutely awful. As other posters have said unfortunately the fishing kit you dad had was possibly worth more to him than anyone else.

May I suggest unless money is exceptional tight it may be worth more you for sentimental reasons. You could eBay off the branded stuff, the poles are normally expensive but we would need to know the wording on the butt section