Newbie pole fisher

Naiad

Reaction score
Hello all!I'm retired live on the east coast decided to try pole fishing.Any recommendations on starter poles would be most welcome thinking max 11 to 13 m for a start.Look forward to your response
Regards
Tim

sagalout

Reaction score
What are you fishing for, carp (size), silvers, sharks? What type of water, snaggy, heavily stocked? Budget? If you want to just try on a budget get a margin pole and fish the margins. Good silvers fishing can be had at 8.5m, feeding little and very often and slapping the rig.

To be honest if you are going for an expensive and long pole you need all the other paraphernalia to help protect the pole from damage. Roller(s), socks, rigs, elastic, bungs, bushes, the list is endless and expensive. Can you find someone local that will let you have a play with their pole (innuendo intended).

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Come back with a budget and you will get some recommendations, mine would be buy the best you can afford and go longer than
13 metre depending on venues you are thinking of fishing, also get one with a few spare topkits, but factor at least a tenner a kit for elastication, Ready made pole rigs are around 3.50 each, you will need a few of those until you are confidant to make your own,
I would get a budget for your pole plus cupping kit if none supplied, then factor about another 75 to 100 for the essential extras.