Afternoon All....

BrentfordBob

Reaction score
It's been thirty odd years since I last fished...

But last year, my youngest lad and I attended an introduction to fishing session in Chandlers Ford, Hants.
For me, it was to see if much had changed in thirty years - it hasn't, apart from that pole fishing for monster carp seems to be the way people like to fish nowadays. But for my lad, it was just to see if he liked it. Thanks to Justin Naylor (our coach for the session), he did like it. Very much infact.

So since then, I've been put under increasing pressure to go out and get some tackle together for the two of us to do some basic float fishing. Several visits to Homestores in Southampton, and about £150 later, we're ready to go.
Graham at Homestores gave us some sound advice and some basic tackle - two Shakespeare Firebird rod and reel combo's and the usual stuff that accompanies it.

We've got our licences and a one year pass for Hiltingbury Lakes in Chandlers Ford (just off the M3, if you don't know).
Our first outing was mixed. I spent more time untangling line from the reels than actually fishing but when we did fish, we were getting lots of small Roach and Perch with maggots. I have to admit to one disaster with a tiny Perch where I couldn't get the hook out - it was lodged way down the poor blighter's throat and having such a small mouth meant that using a disgorger or forceps was nigh on impossible. Unfortunately he died in my hands, which I felt terrible about but I guess/hope that this is one of the drawbacks of being a novice.
On our way out, I got chatting to another fisherman and mentioned our issue with reel tangles. He pointed me towards braided line, and another £15 later, I was set for our second outing.
This was far more like it.... no more tangles, although one of the Firebird reels literally fell apart when I was casting, so we were down to just one rod between the two of us. No problem - I was happy to let my lad fish while I soaked up the sun. We changed our bait to sweetcorn this time and the results were good. Less tiddlers and infact, one good Roach and one very nice Tench. This was far more what we were hoping for.
I've now invested in a (hopefully) better reel - a Diawa Crossfire, and we've got some soft pellet bait arriving soon.

Onwards..... I look forward to chatting to some of you on this forum, and getting some helpful advice.

Cheers!

Xpsu0Ni.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Bob and Welcome to FishingMagic
The members here are very friendly, and many are very experienced too, so I'm sure any questions you might have will be answered fully.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Good afternoon to you Bob and welcome to FM. Nice fish and pics, well done. Small Perch happen I'm afraid, or they do to me, still on the odd occasion.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Bob

Are you originally from Brentford? I was a mile up the road in South Ealing before I retired to the South coast.

Bit concerned about you using braid for some light pleasure fishing, what breaking strain is it? I’m sure there’s a reason why you were getting tangles with mono line which can be sorted out, mono offers many benefits over braid for certain aspects of fishing whereas braid comes into its own for lure fishing for example.

All a steep learning curve as I’m still finding, you’ve come to the right place for good advice and info.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Welcome!

The reason perch get deep hooked is because they stay quite still when they take the bait sometimes (especially the tiddlers) I have found a way to combat this but its only suitable in the right conditions. I put all the shot at the bottom near the hook (3 - 5 inches) so that when a fish lifts the bait (which it always will) you will get an immediate indication on the float. when ever i use this method my fish are always lip hooked.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The use of circle hooks also reduces the risk of harm to the fish.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM and back to fishing. Let us know how you get on In the long running thread HOW DID YOU GET ON.

BrentfordBob

Reaction score
Welcome Bob

Are you originally from Brentford? I was a mile up the road in South Ealing before I retired to the South coast.

Bit concerned about you using braid for some light pleasure fishing, what breaking strain is it? I’m sure there’s a reason why you were getting tangles with mono line which can be sorted out, mono offers many benefits over braid for certain aspects of fishing whereas braid comes into its own for lure fishing for example.

All a steep learning curve as I’m still finding, you’ve come to the right place for good advice and info.

South Ealing here too - Murray Road to be exact. Still make the journey up to Griffin Park every week, hence the user name.

The mono line that came with the reel just keep wrapping round the spool really badly. Think it was 15lb breaking strain but actually no thicker than the 6lb line that came with the reel.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey we were close neighbours, I was in Chandos Avenue.

15lb line is heavy duty for big carp or pike. You want a line that if you get snagged or worse, hook a fish that gets snagged, you can break free from, unless your braid is incredibly light this won’t be the case.

C’mon you Bee’s.