Hi, I'm very new...

Monters

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, my career has me sitting in front of a computer for 50+ hours a week and it can be quite stressful. I'm also what you'd call an introvert and mostly work from home.

Anyway, I've been considering taking up fishing for 6-8 months now. I figured it would help me relax and get me outside the house without making me feeling too anxious. I'm still compiling my list of equipment and scoping out where to fish. However, I purchased my 12-month license this morning, so look out for my stupid questions in the near future :)

Craig

mikench

Reaction score
Fishing is perfect for relaxation and mindfulness ! Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the acquisition of your initial tackle and don't worry it never stops!!

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to fishing Craig. Sitting for 50 hours at a computer sounds awful. On the plus side you must be very very IT confident.
There is so much info about fishing on Youtube.
Do be careful about buying too much tackle to start with though. You can make expensive mistakes buying blind on ebay for example.

Most people seem to start on a commercially run fishery nowadays.
I would consider finding such a fishery local to you and taking a walk around it and unobtrusively seeing what is what.

A good starting point would be a tackle shop. They can be a bit thin on the ground nowadays. The smaller type of shop is best not the big supermarket type.

All fish give a tingle on the end of the line and a buzz when the float goes under....not just big fish.

I hope someone near to you in Stoke will come up on here with a good local and friendly tackle shop.

Let us all know how you get on. Even the disasters which will happen. Tight lines.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Welcome bud, hope fishing is everything you hope it to be. I would recommend watching some videos about float fishing on youtube and visiting a local river/small commercial to get a feel for it. Its a lot to wrap your head around at first but ultimately its as simple or complex as you wish it to be. Tight lines.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, you’ve come to the right place.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Welcome to the fold Craig. Fishing is a great way to relax while still keeping your mind occupied. If you've never been fishing before it might be helpful to go with someone who has. Plenty of videos on line for hints and tips and you'll get help here when you need it.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Hello, Craig.
It's your editor here - welcome aboard your new lifestyle! Just think...once you've completed your 50 hour working-week sitting at a desk, you can spend another 48 hours sitting on a river-bank! But you'll love both your fishing and the characters you're bound to meet. As editor, I'd love a story or three...accounts of your experiences and catches as the bug begins to take hold. Things have gone a bit quiet on the reader-contributions front so anything you might like to send in would be most welcome.