Anglers, recycling and Litter - a study! (please help a student out!)

Goldylocks36

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Dan and I am a 23 year old Angler originally from Kent but I am currently studying an Industrial Design Degree at Loughborough University. As part of my final year project, I am hoping to come up with a solution to help reduce the negative impact from Anglers in terms of litter and waste. I have created a really simple survey (below) which has only 10 questions and should take no more than 2/3 minutes!

Essentially I need some insights into current behavior and habits before I can begin to consider how to attack the problem! Any responses are very welcomed and I appreciate you taking the time to read/respond! Thanks a ton

Angling waste/litter habits Survey

sagalout

Reaction score
Anglers are a small section of society and will contain members that have all the traits of society, so some will litter. It is not the subset "anglers" that litter it is society as a whole. Litter will only become controlled when it becomes socially unacceptable to litter like it used to be when I was a kid. You did not spit either, I blame footballers for this particularly disgusting public habit.

nottskev

Reaction score
Anglers are a small section of society and will contain members that have all the traits of society, so some will litter. It is not the subset "anglers" that litter it is society as a whole. Litter will only become controlled when it becomes socially unacceptable to litter like it used to be when I was a kid. You did not spit either, I blame footballers for this particularly disgusting public habit.

You're right about litter. I'd go so far as to say anglers as a group might be better than the general public.
Many show a lot of respect for their waters and have a conscience about leaving litter.

Not sure if we can pin spitting on footballers. I remember being slightly bemused when I noticed, after starting school, that spitting, and knowing how to spit in various ways, was a signature behaviour for the kids who wanted to look tough. A macho thing well before mass televised football.

sagalout

Reaction score
In my so good memory it was socially unacceptable to spit in public fron the mid 1900s because of the spreading of diseases like TB. I think those that do it now are just copying a trend started by footballers.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Being a smoker, sometimes I need to spit after I cough. Its not pleasant but I can not swallow some of the stuff that come off my chest. I try to do it when no one is looking but not always possible. Walking around some of the asian districts around the country is disgusting, all the young men spit every other step they take.

Goldylocks36

Reaction score
Hi Guys thanks for the responses so far - at this point they are all excellent and valued feedback! Any comment, no matter how small or off topic may prove to be the insight I am after!

A bit more information on the project - I am essentially looking in particular at mono-filament line and why it isn't currently more recycled and perhaps creating some sort of product/service/system to encourage it. I have tons of data on the issue and how it could be done but it is this raw, primary data from the actual Angling community that I need input from - all types of behavior and habits are important for me!

I appreciate question no.9 was a bit obtuse but it does have a purpose I promise!

Thanks again and if you could share/re-post the link anywhere else that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Goldylocks36

Reaction score
Yes I have and in theory it is a great idea! The trouble is it isn't quite having the success that it could and I am trying to figure out why and how it can be improved.

Any suggestions?

john step

Reaction score
My nearest Angling Direct is a round 44 mile trip. Best part of a gallon of fuel. I feel they have initiated this for reasons to get you into the shop rather than higher altruistic reasons.

That aside it is good to recycle. They would confirm their environmental credit by offering to recycle the line if it was posted to them after saving up a seasons quantity.