Not an angler

Reaction score
Hey there!

Let's address the elephant in the room: as the title of this thread says, I'm not an angler. I'm a translator (also found in my username). My reasons for joining this forum are as follows:

I'm an English → Hungarian / Hungarian → English translator working for a dubbing studio in Romania, Europe. We deal mostly with documentaries, however, our manager has recently acquired a large collection of fishing shows (over 10 individual shows, multiple seasons of each - Carp Wars, Games Fishers, Gone Fishin' just to name a few). I'm currently working on three shows simultaneously: Fishing with Des Taylor, Gone Fishin' and Games Fishers. My task is to translate the scripts from English into Hungarian.

Despite being an experienced translator, the terminology of fishing proves difficult to me for many reasons, the lack of terms in Hungarian being just one of them. It is essential for me to translate these scripts accurately, since the majority of the viewers are anglers themselves. This is why I have decided to reach out to y'all. Dictionaries are useless in this field, and the few anglers that I know personally do not speak English all that well.

To coin new phrases or to paraphrase the names of the different jigs, rigs, baits and techniques, I first need to understand them, since resorting to word-for-word translation yields questionable results. If some of you could spare some time to explain a concept to me every now-and-then, I'd be grateful. Also, you'd be contributing to a much better viewing experience for the Hungarian angler community, for which I'm sure they'll be grateful as well.

So spare me a few secs, please...

nottskev

Reaction score
I would think there are people on here who could re-word samples of fishing jargon into more everyday terms, or gloss any technical terms.

Why not post a few samples of the type of expression you're trying to translate?

Reaction score
Well, the ones which gave me the hardest time during the last episode of "Gone Fishin'" were slow jigs and pirate jigs. The crew is fishing for snapper in Australia, if it's of any help.

I'm planning to make a complete glossary in Microsoft Excel with all the problematic terms in the near future. I'll upload it here (or post a WeTransfer or some kind of cloud link to it - haven't really figured out what the upload policy is on this site).

daniel121

Reaction score
Agree kev I'd happily de-jargon some text but I'd need to see it first or the list is endless

daniel121

Reaction score
Slow jigs are a lure, and artificial bait which is retreved through the water in provoke (lure) a reaction from predatory fish.

'Jigging' in UK fresh water in a up and down motion with a bait to catch fish up in the water, I'm unsure if this has anything to do with the technique the guys use over there with these lures?

Sorry I can't be much more help regarding that one

Reaction score
The two terms are unrelated here. And thanks, you've been of enormous help. I have started working on my glossary, so what I'll need is definitions like daniel121 gave me. As soon as I'm finished with the SL (Source Language) terms, I'll extract my translation memories so that I can provide some context. I'll share the finished file with you, guys. Until then, thanks for the help!