What’s difference between shimano GTE/RE BAITRUNNER

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t know the answer to the question you have asked twice.

Welcome to FM, why not introduce yourself.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure however I would guess GTE/RE are simply a model number of a particular type of fixed spool reel. Where as a baitrunner is a genre of fixed spool reel like a closed face reel.

A baitrunner is a heavy duty reel with a setting which allows the drag to go exceptionally fine on the click of a button, the feature as soon as the handle is turned the button flicks back and the reel reverts back to its its other setting.

This duel drag simply allows the fish to tale line freely when used in conjunction with self hooking bolt rigs.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a fair while since either GTE Baitrunners, or RE Baitrunners were available. However, there was a "special edition" RE Baitrunner 5-10 years back. I don't have any particular information on hand to give a definitive answer. However, when Shimano produce different models, that otherwise look basically the same, the differences usually come down to internals. Different numbers/types of bearing, different gearing etc. External/cosmetic differences are often marginally more obvious. Things such as different bail arms/rollers, different graphics and different spools. All metal spools, all polymer spools, stainless rims on polymer spools, different lips on spools, number of spare spools supplied etc. Occasionally, the material used for the body/rotor is different. However, IIRC, both the GTE and RE Baitrunners used XT-7 bodies/rotors.

I believe that there weren't massive differences between the RE and GTE. Minor things like steel lipped spools and number/type of bearing are likely to be the differences.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of those weird first time posters, asks a question in the small hours, not been seen since, weird.

daniel121

Reaction score
One of those weird first time posters, asks a question in the small hours, not been seen since, weird.

Not everyone joins a forum to be part of the forum community mate, some just want to ask a question, get an answer and that's the purpose of their membership completed.

Personally I don't mind that, but 'a thank you for your help would not go a miss' I have to say.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t mind that either, if they are genuine. Having not logged back in after asking the question is as I say a bit “weird”

Last edited: