New member and new to fishing

andy_fozzy

Reaction score
Hi all, recently joined the forum to seek some advice.
I’m Andy, I’m 43 years young from Southampton. I live with my beautiful wife and two step children.
My stepson is very keen to take up fishing, he’s (a mature) 9 year old.

I used to fish a fair bit with my Dad when I was a kid, so I do have a little knowledge. However, we sea fished and I’d like to get Lewis (well and me!) into freshwater fishing. This is where I have very little knowledge.

So I’ll go and find the most appropriate section to post in, I have MANY questions to ask!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Whilst nothing comes close to actually fishing, the forum is a very valuable source of information from experienced anglers. There is a very good search function for when you know what kind of fishing you want to do, where you want to do it and the kinds of venue available to you.

Gear can be recommended when this information is known although we may struggle with children's Tackle. In truth a mature nine year old may get by with a shortish proper rod. I'm sure our youngest member and child prodigy will be along soon with ideas and suggestions.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Andy

Further to what Mike has said we do have at least one Dad who regularly posts and I’m sure he can give you some valuable advice for your youngster.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Have a research online to find local waters. As a sea angler you may not be aware that there is a closed season on rivers until 16th June but still waters are OK to fish.
Tackle shops are a good source of locations too.
Take your lad for a walk round a fishery or two with the proprietors permission to get an idea.
Youtube is full of videos about tackle set ups.
As a a sea angler some of the line and tackle used for freshwater may seem a bit puny.

Dont just disappear like some do after getting info on here. Let us know of your progress on the thread HOW DID YOU GET ON . Good luck to you both.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Fishing Magic.

Living in Southampton you have some excellent waters to fish for coarse (and game) fish near to you; like the rivers Avon and Stour plus a couple of chalk streams in the area; plus quite a few good Stillwater fisheries to choose from in and around the new forest as well.

I would recommend joining a good club in your area (ask in your local tackle shop) as they would have access to most of the better waters around you. Alternatively find a couple of good commercial fisheries to fish.

Tight lines
Keith.

andy_fozzy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Whilst nothing comes close to actually fishing, the forum is a very valuable source of information from experienced anglers. There is a very good search function for when you know what kind of fishing you want to do, where you want to do it and the kinds of venue available to you.

Gear can be recommended when this information is known although we may struggle with children's Tackle. In truth a mature nine year old may get by with a shortish proper rod. I'm sure our youngest member and child prodigy will be along soon with ideas and suggestions.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it allot.

I think we'll be mostly looking for now at course fishing. I had some experience as a kid with Dad fly / trout fishing which was amazing.
But for now we'll stick to course.

Found what appears to be a nice tackle shop so we're gonna pay them a visit today :)

andy_fozzy

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Have a research online to find local waters. As a sea angler you may not be aware that there is a closed season on rivers until 16th June but still waters are OK to fish.
Tackle shops are a good source of locations too.
Take your lad for a walk round a fishery or two with the proprietors permission to get an idea.
Youtube is full of videos about tackle set ups.
As a a sea angler some of the line and tackle used for freshwater may seem a bit puny.

Dont just disappear like some do after getting info on here. Let us know of your progress on the thread HOW DID YOU GET ON . Good luck to you both.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I wasn't actually aware of the closed season. But TBH by the time we are step with the gear and knowledge we need that will have long passed!
Found what seems to be a nice tackle shop so going to get over there today with him. We've had a browse at some of the local lakes, fisheries etc and got a fair few options there which is great.

I certainly will keep active, thank you again

andy_fozzy

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Fishing Magic.

Living in Southampton you have some excellent waters to fish for coarse (and game) fish near to you; like the rivers Avon and Stour plus a couple of chalk streams in the area; plus quite a few good Stillwater fisheries to choose from in and around the new forest as well.

I would recommend joining a good club in your area (ask in your local tackle shop) as they would have access to most of the better waters around you. Alternatively find a couple of good commercial fisheries to fish.

Tight lines
Keith.

Hi Keith, thank you for the reply.

Seems we do indeed have some very good options around here, which is great!
Found a nice local tackle shop so I'm gonna pop over there today, they might be able to recommend a good club for us to join.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Morning and welcome,don't hesitate to query your slightest problem on FM,the biggest issue will be making a choice from the magnitude of offerings,enjoy...

andy_fozzy

Reaction score
Morning and welcome,don't hesitate to query your slightest problem on FM,the biggest issue will be making a choice from the magnitude of offerings,enjoy...

Morning mate, thank you very much.
I won’t hesitate in asking my daft questions!!

Appreciate the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
If it were me I would buy a float rod new or second hand, say 11' or 10' if possible and a suitable reel. The Tackle shop can supply a light line, floats and some hooks.

Go to a lake with a couple of garden chairs some maggots, a cold drink or two and have a go . It's fishing at its simplest and purest
. An angler would be happy to show you how to set it up and make that first cast. Keep it simple and hope to catch a few roach. I would buy a good rod n reel as they will not need to be upgraded if you progress. Angling direct do a rod and reel package for kids but I'm sure it's made to a price rather than quality. Skills are best learned with good gear in my opinion.

john step

Reaction score
As well as the obvious rod and reel, a landing net is a must. So are a couple of disgorgers. Learn how to use one online.
Small forceps are handy for this too. I know sea fish are usually bonked and eaten but coarse (see spelling) fish are treated more gently and returned. Handled where possible with wet hands. Bigger ones are placed on an unhooking mat. None of the above need be expensive. Oh yes as Mike says sit when you fish. Keep below the skyline.
Tight lines.

Another Dave

Reaction score
If it were me I would buy a float rod new or second hand, say 11' or 10' if possible and a suitable reel. The Tackle shop can supply a light line, floats and some hooks.

Go to a lake with a couple of garden chairs some maggots, a cold drink or two and have a go . It's fishing at its simplest and purest
. An angler would be happy to show you how to set it up and make that first cast. Keep it simple and hope to catch a few roach. I would buy a good rod n reel as they will not need to be upgraded if you progress. Angling direct do a rod and reel package for kids but I'm sure it's made to a price rather than quality. Skills are best learned with good gear in my opinion.

Good advice. There are probably one or two things to add that might not be obvious if your background is sea fishing, for example plumbing the depth and feeding 'little and often'.

I'd definitely recommend this channel on youtube to anyone.

YouTube