New

simhel

Reaction score
Hi all my name's Simon. Been an angler since a kid I'm 49 now. Spent all of this time pond fishing mainly match angling but did 10yrs of carping. Gave up fishing 2yr ago due to neck injury and sold all my match gear couldn't hold a pole for long or manage to lug all the gear about. Recently moved to Easington near Peterlee and quite frankly I'm proper bored when not at work so thought I might give river fishing a bash quite interested in catching a barbel or 2. Looking for someone in my local area who could take me under their wing and let me tag along with em a few times to see the places I need to go etc be nice just to make some fishing friends etc. I do drive but I also work full-time as well which includes weekends so days off differ each week. No bought any gear yet til I know wheres where and what's what first. Thanks All Simon

daniel121

Reaction score
Fishing always drags us back, it's like a bit of magic dust in a world of practicalities.

Selling old kit is a school boy error but you live and learn, welcome back if you need any help shout up.

simhel

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Didn't have much choice with picking up my injury etc but it's eased off loads and manageable now but couldn't match fish again due to it but thought a bit of river fishing might be managable. Only help I need really is to meet up with someone local to me whose willing to become a fishing buddy to show me the ins and outs etc it's mainly where to go that's the minefield pretty easy with a pond just put address in sat nav and your there 6 hr match or 24hr+ session if carping and job done

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hi Simon,
sadly, you've not moved to the best of areas for barbel. If you wish to stick to rivers as close as possible, you are probably looking at the Wear and Tees. Both hold barbel, but neither are prolific. Those that do find fish tend to keep it to themselves.

An awful lot of North East lads travel if they are interested in barbel. The Swale below Topcliffe is usually the first port of call, but many keep going to the rest of the Yorkshire Ouse rivers (Nidd, Wharfe, Ure etc) and even the Trent.

simhel

Reaction score
Yeah I've been looking online etc and seems the swale and Trent are my best bet but that's ok don't mind driving to places if I know where they are etc and seems like a lot more get caught overnight so I would be a bit wary been on the bank on me own did it when I was carping but would know most of the people there etc due to been in a syndicate and behind locked gates. Hopefully someone will pop up whose local to me and goes to the Trent/swale and take me onboard with em. Thanks Simon