Melton mowbray!

Reaction score
So I brought my lad a little rod to have a play with. The cheapie from GoOutdoors for a tenner. I'm a salt water man myself, so used to tides, current, drop offs and such. I free dive for crab, lobster and flatties as well but really have absolutely no idea about course fishing other than 'if I can't eat what I catch whats the point?'. (I mean that tongue in cheek guys and girls, I don't want to offend anyone).

But now my little lad is dead keen on getting down the local river and lobbing in a line and get jigging. So I've taken up the challenge! Time to convert to course....

I hope to learn a ton about fishing in the fresh waters of Leicestershire and welcome any hints and tips for success. I'll start off with rubber lures on a size 6 jig head, which (I think....) should get some litties frequently enough to keep the lad interested and feed his eagerness.

I don't mind the banter either, so don't mind me. Thanks for having me!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. You should get a perch or two on the jig.

mikench

Reaction score
Do remember that sea fishing often involves bringing a fish with a swim bladder up from the depths at speed and thus releasing it is of little point as it will not survive. Course fishing is different and catch and release will teach your son to care about other creatures and to value life. Besides cod and mackerel will taste far superior to bream and roach!:wh

Reaction score
Do remember that sea fishing often involves bringing a fish with a swim bladder up from the depths at speed and thus releasing it is of little point as it will not survive. Course fishing is different and catch and release will teach your son to care about other creatures and to value life. Besides cod and mackerel will taste far superior to bream and roach!:wh
Indeed you are right. The lad has learnt to respect nature and all that it offers. He also understands where his meat and veg come from. lidl and aldi are convenient but there's nothing better than bringing it in from the sea and doing it justice before cooking and eating it soon after. The same goes for red meat. But I hasten to add that my lad or I most definitely will NOT be taking course fish to the table. If nothing else, from the rivers round melton they'll be muddy tasting anyway!

mikench

Reaction score
And remember your famous pork pies are far too good for fish and they are not keen on mustard.:rolleyes:

d.owens

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.
I got my kids the tenner sets from Go Outdoors, the Shakespeare ones, they are great value and decent bits of kit.
Ours have been used from canals, lakes and off the rocks into the salty stuff of north Wales.
Enjoy your fresh water adventures!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.
I got my kids the tenner sets from Go Outdoors, the Shakespeare ones, they are great value and decent bits of kit.
Ours have been used from canals, lakes and off the rocks into the salty stuff of north Wales.
Enjoy your fresh water adventures!
Where abouts in Wales do u fish?

d.owens

Reaction score
Where abouts in Wales do u fish?

We always pack the rods when camping, Shell Island is a favourite. I imagine pulling in Bass.....but the reality is usually blanking! The sea is responsible for getting me back into fishing, using cheap telescopic rods with the kids off the rocks in Lanzarote, but I'm no sea angler!