Newbie and need some Info

adeeli

Reaction score
Hi All,
Am new to fishing, used to fish long ago on some private pond, looking forward to start again on river stretches, canal (will try find spots which are free for fish doesn't require to join any club, etc) or sea. I've been going through gov website for more information, and quite confused. As getting different inputs.
Reading this article, Freshwater rod fishing rules: Fish size and catch limits - GOV.UK where it has some bylaws as well. It says can take up to x amount of fish if it's x size and x breed. Whereas I asked one of the fishing shop
and they said can't take any fish at all from river, it has to be release. Can someone kindly clarify?

Many Thanks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What species of fish are you looking to remove from lakes, canals and rivers?

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi All,
Am new to fishing, used to fish long ago on some private pond, looking forward to start again on river stretches, canal (will try find spots which are free for fish doesn't require to join any club, etc) or sea. I've been going through gov website for more information, and quite confused. As getting different inputs.
Reading this article, Freshwater rod fishing rules: Fish size and catch limits - GOV.UK where it has some bylaws as well. It says can take up to x amount of fish if it's x size and x breed. Whereas I asked one of the fishing shop
and they said can't take any fish at all from river, it has to be release. Can someone kindly clarify?

Many Thanks

I think you will find that although the bylaws say that you can take certain fish for the table, this only applies if the fishery owner also agrees to you removing fish from their waters otherwise it would be classed as theft.

Most (if not all) privately owned or club controlled waters do not allow anyone to remove any fish from their waters in the UK so you would most likely be committing theft and risking being forcibly removed or going for a swim; that’s if you are not being prosecuted.

So unless you are fishing a publicly owned stretch of river that doesn’t have any additional bylaws restricting the removal of fish (and there’s not many of those in your area) you need to check first.

Keith

Last edited:

adeeli

Reaction score
perch/roach maybe, but again depends if allowed, otherwise i'll stick with catch and release, and even if allowed to take away, looking to take away maybe 1 to try, not more than that

adeeli

Reaction score
I think you will find that although the bylaws say that you can take certain fish for the table, this only applies if the fishery owner also agrees to you removing fish from their waters otherwise it will be classed as theft.

Most (if not all) privately owned or club controlled waters do not allow anyone to remove any fish from their waters in the UK so you would most likely be committing theft and risking being forcibly removed or going for a swim; that’s if you are not being prosecuted.

So unless you are fishing a publicly owned stretch of river (and there’s not many of those in your area) you need to check first.

Keith

Thanks, looking to only fish publicly owned land which i assume comes under council? If it's free spot i.e. not required any permission from land owner or membership who do i need to ask. I've seen few clubs who allowe fishing on some river stretches, etc, and does says catch and release.

Many Thanks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
May I suggest you spend some time reading threads on this forum especially the How Did You Get On thread. You will quickly appreciate that the culture is to return all fish safely when coarse fishing. Even though it is legitimate to remove certain species from rivers I can tell you it won’t be warmly received by the majority of coarse anglers.

You have made it clear you do not wish to join a club so game fishing for salmon or trout is a non starter.

Two quick questions
Do you have an EA licence? What nationality are you?

Last edited:

adeeli

Reaction score
Thanks will read, gather as much information as i can, before i go fishing. Surely, if the culture is to return all you catches, I haven't got any issues with that, as am happy with Salmon Fillets.

daniel121

Reaction score
In this country fishermen tend to be staunch conversationists as a general rule everywhere is catch and release bar game fishing for trout, grayling and salmon.

It's technically illegal to return zander and some invasive and non native species but I return everything, bar signal crayfish.

All I'll say is respect club laws and enjoy your fishing.