Returning Angler in Kent

Oldpeddaller

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for adding me to your Forum! To introduce myself, I'm semi-retired, with a few part-time jobs to keep me busy (and fed!). I started fishing with my friends as a lad of 8 in the Lake District in the late 1960's - catching wild brown trout, sea-trout, ells and the occasional salmon or grayling. As an adult I took up shore and boat fishing for many happy years and with some success. In between times I tried the odd coarse lake or farm pond, sometimes with reasonable catches -often blanking completely! I'm now in remission from a serious illness and suffer from CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) as a result of my successful and life-saving treatment. It sure beats the alternative! However this does mean that travelling any distance to fish or trying to keep going for more than three or four hours at most is currently beyond my capabilities. A day ticket would be a waste of money for me. So I'm now interested in short sessions on the nearby River Medway between East Farleigh and Allington. I'd like advice and others' experience on where to fish, when to go, species to fish for, tackle and rigs to use, baits and presentation. Sounds like a lot? Hopefully I can gain some information from more expert anglers on here?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi there Oldpedaller, welcome to FM. Do you use Facebook? There are a few groups that concentrate on the Medway and there is good advice and info to be found.

I want to start exploring the Medway too, the roach seem to go to a decent size unlike the roach I catch from my local River Stour along Canterbury and beyond.

I’ve seen a lot of nice catches around Yalding, Teapot Island is one spot and I believe free to fish before it becomes Calpac controlled. Stick float or waggler seems popular with hemp and corn or punched bread.

Also a lot of big carp to be had if you know where to look.

Look forward to your future adventures in the HDYGO thread.

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Oldpedaller welcome to FM, this might help you out Teston Bridge is about 2 miles from East Farleigh and the fishing is about 50 yards from the car park

Oldpeddaller

Reaction score
Thanks s63, it was chatting to a "roach specimen hunter" on the bank about a week ago that whetted my appetite to get back behind a rod! This chap was very knowledgeable and seemed serious about pursuing a Record in the Medway. I'm not too fussy, would just like to get fishing again and maybe catch and return the odd fish. I hadn't considered Yalding, good idea. I like float fishing too! I'll have a look on Facebook - another good idea. Thanks for the welcome, might see you around!

Oldpeddaller

Reaction score
Hi Chrish, another local mark I hadn't considered - I take it this is the bridge next to the railway crossing where the north end joins the A26 Tonbridge Road between the Crown City hinese Restaurant and Barming - and the Southern end goes up a hill to join Lower Road at West Farleigh? Which side of the bridge is OK to fish - upstream or downstream? Also thanks for the welcome back - anglers are such nice folk!

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Chrish, another local mark I hadn't considered - I take it this is the bridge next to the railway crossing where the north end joins the A26 Tonbridge Road between the Crown City hinese Restaurant and Barming - and the Southern end goes up a hill to join Lower Road at West Farleigh? Which side of the bridge is OK to fish - upstream or downstream? Also thanks for the welcome back - anglers are such nice folk!

From the A26 go over the crossing the car park for Teston bridge country park is on the right before the bridge.
There some good float fishing either side of the bridge the train lines side or go the others side of the lock, which is to the right of the bridge.
Maggot or bread on the float for the roach, there is also chub, perch, pike