New to fishing, looking to fish the canals around Wigan

tommos16

Reaction score
Evening all, hope everyone is well.

The title explains it all really! I'm going to be (hopefully) dropshotting and lure fishing the canals in and around Wigan (Leeds Liverpool and Leigh Branch).

Was hopefully looking for a bit of advise on what tackle to start with, any non specific tips (not expecting anyone to give away their best spots etc) and just some all round advise on canal fishing please.

Tight lines!

Keith M

Reaction score
Have a gander at this dropshotting video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N22QTVTXz34

A light spinning rod (of up to around 10grm) can be used for both dropshotting and for spinning so you don’t really need a dropshotting rod to dropshot; but I find a dropshotting rod certainly makes working my dropshotting lures a little easier, especially when I’m presenting my lures in one spot without constantly retrieving.

heres some of the different lures that I use when I’m dropshotting (top) and when I’m spinning (bottom) for Perch on my Canal.

Some of my Dropshotting lures

Some of my Mepps type spinning lures

NB: I use the same rod as Julian uses in the video when I’m dropshotting, however there are lots of other dropshot rods on the market and a dropshot rod is not essential especially if you intend to also spin using the same rod.

I have several different spinning rods which I’ve accumulated over the years, but I bit the bullet and bought myself a dedicated dropshot rod a couple of years ago and it does make presenting my dropshot lures in the right way a little easier to do.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
That's very kind of you Keith, thank you very much for your detailed response and the links!

Another Dave

Reaction score
Take a few live worms so you have something to stick on the hook when you fancy a sit down or start to suffer from a devastating loss of faith in lures.

ian g

Reaction score
Take a few live worms so you have something to stick on the hook when you fancy a sit down or start to suffer from a devastating loss of faith in lures.

I thought it was only me Dave , last time I did that a barbel grabbed my worm and shot off down the Severn:eek:mg:

Kilto

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a newbie here, nice to meet everybody

tommos16

Reaction score
Well, I finally got myself a little rod set up, put some sweetcorn and a float out and wouldnt you know it, out came a good sized Roach. Pleased as punch, absolutely no better feeling that your first fish!
21a330cbf780b9952191eeab1ed4d018.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
have you tried the canal that runs through the wigan flashes, the flashes themselves have some great fish i hear.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Try the cut off from Pennington flash, some good fish in ther in the winter, Also try the Dover Lock stretch, if you dont catch you can nip in for a pint.
On a serious note, please dont hold fish on line like that especially over a hard towpath in case its sheds the hook.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Try the cut off from Pennington flash, some good fish in ther in the winter, Also try the Dover Lock stretch, if you dont catch you can nip in for a pint.
On a serious note, please dont hold fish on line like that especially over a hard towpath in case its sheds the hook.
If you walk along the canal from the Dover lock inn towards pennie flash not far up there is a body of water on the right, I always presumed it belonged to a farmer or something, you can step down off the tow path onto it, I've never fished it but have seen people fishing on it, you know where I am on about or anything about it ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
As far as I know it's a Wigan District day ticket water, but if going to fish the canal area regularly it is better of joining, I heard it's about a tenner a year. I have seen a few fishing along there when I have stopped off on way to north west angling at hindley,and also the wigan pie shop.⁵

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
As far as I know it's a Wigan District day ticket stretch, but if going to fish the canal are regularly it is better of joining, I heard it's about a tenner a year. I have seen a few fishing along there when I have stopped off on way to north west angling at hindley,and also the wigan pie shop.
I know that angling shop well also know hindley well, and you can't go Wigan without eating a pie its criminal, and yes there seems to be a few day ticket places around there, again not fished it but there uses to be 1 at the three sisters race way place.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I know that angling shop well also know hindley well, and you can't go Wigan without eating a pie its criminal, and yes there seems to be a few day ticket places around there, again not fished it but there uses to be 1 at the three sisters race way place.

The 3 sisters one is still going, A good one at hindley that not many people know about is Widdows Flash, Its a north west disabled angling water, anyone can fish it, some brilliant catches to be had, If you need more info on waters around there let me know,

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
The 3 sisters one is still going, A good one at hindley that not many people know about is Widdows Flash, Its a north west disabled angling water, anyone can fish it, some brilliant catches to be had, If you need more info on waters around there let me know,
Is that the near a car garage fix it I think it was called and I think there was one across the road from that a track going through a field and I think the water ran along the railway line maybe this one was private though I think, I've only really fished the canals around there and a little stocked pool in bickershaw other side of abraham can fish there for a fiver,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
There is one further down on the other side of the road from widdows that you go down a track to it, it has changed hands recently. Around Junction 27 of M6 there are about 7 day ticket waters in about a 3 mile radius.and a stretch of the canal.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
There is one further down on the other side of the road from widdows that you go down a track to it, it has changed hands recently. Around Junction 27 of M6 there are about 7 day ticket waters in about a 3 mile radius.and a stretch of the canal.
7 day ticket venues and 7 days in a week, sounds like a plan, thanks for all the venue info appreciate it, and hopefully it helps the OP also