Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default New to fishing, looking to fish the canals around Wigan

Evening all, hope everyone is well.

The title explains it all really! I'm going to be (hopefully) dropshotting and lure fishing the canals in and around Wigan (Leeds Liverpool and Leigh Branch).

Was hopefully looking for a bit of advise on what tackle to start with, any non specific tips (not expecting anyone to give away their best spots etc) and just some all round advise on canal fishing please.

Tight lines!

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to fishing, looking to fish the canals around Wigan

Have a gander at this dropshotting video

A light spinning rod (of up to around 10grm) can be used for both dropshotting and for spinning so you don’t really need a dropshotting rod to dropshot; but I find a dropshotting rod certainly makes working my dropshotting lures a little easier, especially when I’m presenting my lures in one spot without constantly retrieving.

heres some of the different lures that I use when I’m dropshotting (top) and when I’m spinning (bottom) for Perch on my Canal.

Some of my Dropshotting lures

Some of my Mepps type spinning lures

NB: I use the same rod as Julian uses in the video when I’m dropshotting, however there are lots of other dropshot rods on the market and a dropshot rod is not essential especially if you intend to also spin using the same rod.

I have several different spinning rods which I’ve accumulated over the years, but I bit the bullet and bought myself a dedicated dropshot rod a couple of years ago and it does make presenting my dropshot lures in the right way a little easier to do.

Tight lines
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 03-10-2019 at 10:44.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That's very kind of you Keith, thank you very much for your detailed response and the links!

Take a few live worms so you have something to stick on the hook when you fancy a sit down or start to suffer from a devastating loss of faith in lures.

Hahaha thanks Dave. The day will come no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    Take a few live worms so you have something to stick on the hook when you fancy a sit down or start to suffer from a devastating loss of faith in lures.
    I thought it was only me Dave , last time I did that a barbel grabbed my worm and shot off down the Severn

Hello everyone! I am a newbie here, nice to meet everybody

Well, I finally got myself a little rod set up, put some sweetcorn and a float out and wouldnt you know it, out came a good sized Roach. Pleased as punch, absolutely no better feeling that your first fish!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk