Born again

Robbie C

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
From 1976 (aged 14) to about 1990 I was fishing mad. Mainly float fishing lakes, close in for tench being my favourite.
Then due to running a business, marriage etc I completely stopped, with just the occasional excursion in Florida whilst on holiday.
Recently I was offered free fishing in a lightly fished gravel pit near me, and due to less business pressure , decided to start again.
I must have given all my old gear away , because I have no tackle at all !
So I went to my local tackle shop(Oakwood angling in north London).
After chatting to the friendly and helpful guys there,
I bought a float rod etc and in early March went to the pit on a cold March day , only caught 3 small roach, but I loved it!Went a couple of more times and caught some more roach, skimmers and even a Tench of around 3lb.
I’m now obsessed again,planning a serious assault for this spring, a prebaiting regime, trying different methods for the Tench,Bream, Roach, Carp etc.
Then the bloody lockdown! I’m at home permanently now, spending hours on this forum(the best one by far!),watching videos etc.
Seriously, I must spend 5-6 hours watching,reading or thinking about fishing!Now the weather is improving and I can’t wait to get out again .
In the meantime after lurking on this forum , I have joined and will be asking a few questions for tips etc.
So thanks to the guys who run this forum, I think the layout is brilliant, and I love the search facility where you type in a word or two and then have hours of reading available!
Sorry if I’m rambling, I just wanted to introduce myself, too much time on my hands lol.
#cantwaittofishagain

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Robbie

I wonder if you were a customer of Dons in Edmonton back in the day, I often travelled over from South London to shop there, it was that good.

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome Robbie and I am sure you will enjoy the forum and make good friends. We are all in the same boat however and I can imagine the queues for maggots when we are all finally unleashed; the bog roll shortage will be nothing by comparison.i hope my pinkies will last until then.:)

Robbie C

Reaction score
Hi,
That was where I first used to go !There and Barnet angling centre. Now both sadly gone.

Robbie C

Reaction score
Welcome Robbie and I am sure you will enjoy the forum and make good friends. We are all in the same boat however and I can imagine the queues for maggots when we are all finally unleashed; the bog roll shortage will be nothing by comparison.i hope my pinkies will last until then.:)

Once I realised the lockdown was serious, I froze my maggots.I was given a wormery so put some peat moss and dendrobaenas In
so will be keeping an eye on them.
Hopefully the small shops will survive...

wetthrough

Reaction score
Hi Robbie. Good to hear you're enjoying your fishing again and welcome to Fishing Magic.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Frames were in the LB Barnet at West Hendon. I wonder if they are still trading?

Robbie C

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Frames were in the LB Barnet at West Hendon. I wonder if they are still trading?

Just googled Frames. Still going after more than 50 years! Nice to see. Gerrys of Wimbledon was a famous name back then.

Reaction score
Having already answered your thread i will offer a belated welcome Robbie,funny enough I bought a rod from Oakwood angling recently in Welwyn,very good shop and well stocked too....

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Robbie, welcome back to the fold.

I used to frequent Barnet Angling Centre before it closed as it was only 10 to 15 minutes away from where I live.

What pit do you fish now? Have you thought of joining Barnet Angling Club?

Keith