Return of the Milbro 5 in 1 combination rod

MountainAsh

Reaction score
Hi there, getting going in the freshwater again after a 30 year hiatus. Not too much choice by way of simple pond fishing round these parts but enough to get started. The current amount of ‘gear’ available and various rods for this, reels for that is dizzying for someone who thought a Mitchell Match and an Abu Mk5 Zoom was everything.

Plenty to read up on during lockdown. Cheers

john step

Reaction score
Hi there, getting going in the freshwater again after a 30 year hiatus. Not too much choice by way of simple pond fishing round these parts but enough to get started. The current amount of ‘gear’ available and various rods for this, reels for that is dizzying for someone who thought a Mitchell Match and an Abu Mk5 Zoom was everything.

Plenty to read up on during lockdown. Cheers

Welcome to FM and back to the fishing mode.
I would say stay very simple to start. One could get into some serious research and get bogged down with specification overload during these times of too much lockdown time.

A bit like in the 70s when I tried to decide what HI FI I wanted. There were details of frequency range, OMS in speakers, Total outputs and other stuff to give one a headache.

In the end I just bought a Goodmans something or other and it sounded fine.

I think the same applies to a lot of fishing tackle hype. Use whatever you like. Its your life.

Tight lines.

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You picked your moment to get back into fishing but far better late than never. You only need a few bare essentials like a rod or two and a reel. :wh

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum :thumbs:

As you have found out; the days of the Milbro 5 in 1 rod have long gone :) I had a Craddock version of the 5 in 1 rod back in the 60s :)

However there are still devotees of the Mitchel Match reel about, including some really good Anglers like Mark Wintle who’s a regular contributor on this forum and has published 2 books on Roach fishing as well as other books.

As you have probably already found your choices of rods and reels has drastically increased nowerdays.

tight lines

Keith

Last edited: