Hi From Doncaster South Yorks UK

coenstork

Reaction score
Hi. I'm xblackrat from Doncaster UK. Can anyone work out what an XBLACKRAT is ??
I have been fishing with a rod and reel for 51 years. I have this year been introduced to "The Pole" and I find it is brilliant.
I am lucky that I have a holiday home between Worcester and Evesham and have the facilities of private fishing in 5 lakes. The nearest I can fish from my decking is, would you believe 5 meters (yes 5 meters)
We have made a small fishing club with only 25 of us. We have fun matches each Saturday and these have never been won with a weight less that 70Lb of Carp.
If you have by now worked out what an xblackrat is then you will know about my past.
I am here to learn particularly about Pole fishing.
I look forward to making new forum friends.
Tight lines. xblackrat

Reaction score
Hi xblackrat

Assume that's a reference to a once great industry that was allowed to decline from about 1984 onwards.;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum...quite a few from your region on here. Why I even have distant ancestors from Skellow and area!!

Poshers

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"I am lucky that I have a holiday home between Worcester and Evesham and have the facilities of private fishing in 5 lakes. The nearest I can fish from my decking is, would you believe 5 meters (yes 5 meters)
We have made a small fishing club with only 25 of us. We have fun matches each Saturday and these have never been won with a weight less that 70Lb of Carp."

You now have 45,000 new Best Friends...

Enjoy FM!

P

puttestuts

Hi xblackrat

Welcome from another newbie. Yep I think you were/are one of that number who were shafted by Maggie Thatcher:mad: Oops don't know wether I,m allowed to say that:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

As to learning about Pole Fishing, you can do a lot worse than kicking-off by doing a search on some of the fine articles on here, alternatively and better still, see if you can get hold of a copy of the Pole fishing book by Graham Marsden (FM's managing editor) and Mark Wintle.

tight lines,

PGJ.

coenstork

Reaction score
Nope. Nothing to do with mining and yes I live 3 miles from Skellow. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:

coenstork

Reaction score
Yep you have sussed me. I am a retired Traffic Sergeant South Yorkshire Police. For those who are interested the name, Blackrat derives from a motorway being a "rat run" and a black uniform makes the "Blackrat" which is the only animal that eats it's young and every other living thing. In other words no one is spared. Look at e-bay, Black Rat Police.
Gosh I should be fishing instead of doing this. LOL