cane and pin angler

chubman

Reaction score
hi, every body; im geoff ,is there any true traditional anglers left alive out there.looking for fishing buddies who share my love of traditional angling ,i .live close to the river itchen in hampshire,fished it for 50 years and its still beats the avon or stour for big chub,roach.and the odd barbel.im a total purist,no boilies,hair rigs,carbon,and all the modern rubbish for me.any like minded souls out there,then please contact me.tight lines.chubman

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Chubman and welcome to FM.

I still fish cane and centrepin, although not exclusively, but you will find a fair few here on FM who share a love of traditional fishing methods.

We have an FM annual day on the Lower Itchen fishery, usually in February that you might be interested in joining for next year.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. But 'rubish'? :) Don't you think Walker and Co would have been using carbon rather than cane? I use a pin with a carbon rod and the combination is fantastic

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

Everything has its place. If he wants to fish with the equivalent of a couple of pounds of wood and metal, good luck to him. Us older ones have all done it. My first pole was made from tonkin cane, weighed in at about 4lb and was 17 feet long. Persopnally, I don't get any pleasure these days by burdening myself with extra weight and a few ounces of carbon rod coupled with a nice lightweight pin suites me fine,

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hello Chubman, I'm afraid it's pin and carbon for me too. It is all very personal but surely if cane etc is better then shouldn't you be posting your thread via royal mail (or whatever they're called now)