What sort of Carp is this?

J

Jaffa

Hi all, please have a quick look at my picture and tell me what you think it is. Its not a Wild Carp is it a Crucian?

T

The Monk

looks like a King Common (Cyprinus carpio rex)to me from the photograph, certainly not a Wild variety, much too semetrical and the lack of shoulder profile usually found in Wildies, as for a crucian, none of the fins have the classic rounded edges or the golden tinge.

T

The Monk

just a mutant gene pool Alan, I had one the same shape as a Bream once (and its didnt fight much better either)

Richard Parsons

Reaction score
I've got a pond at home with a goldfish very simular to your carp so may be it is a brown goldfish. I dont know with carp any more just when you think they cant adapt any more then some thing new comes along.

Rodders Rogers

Reaction score
Ive been carp fishing for 8 years now and never have i come across a king carp (common) looking like that.

I would say that it is a hybrid.
To deep for a baby common, just looks wrong!

Hope this helps you young stuart.

T

The Monk

Ive been catching carp since the late sixties, trust me mate, Its a King variety, carp dont hybred

T

The Monk

Interestingly, if you cast your mind back to an issue in the carping world a few years ago, a cricuan carp was presented to the record books, but was proved to be simply a common of an unusual genotype.

B

Big Rik

Lee said
"natural f1 hybrid"

natural?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

probably the most un-natural thing we have done is produce these small fat match carp.

I agree that it's probably what the fish in the picture is, just found your choice of wording quite amusing.

S

swordsy

Yes. Terrible choice of wording that was!

Correct me if I am wrong some body please but isn't an F1 hybrid (as in carp pool easy to handle fish) a cross between a common carp and a crucian carp back crossed with a brown goldfish?

If that is so, does that not actually make it an F2 ?

Answers on a post card please.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
An F1 hybrid is a first generation hybrid, ie, one parent is one species, the other parent another species.

An F2 hybrid can have a parent of one species and the other parent a hybrid.

S

swordsy

So, as i understand the geneology of a match fishing F1

common carp x crucian carp = common/crucian hybrid (f1)x brown goldfish = F2

What a waste of time, it would have been easier to stock roach ;O)

Preston Bissett

Reaction score
Hi swordsy,

I'm afraid you really are jumping to conclusions on this one!

I know the water this 'carp' came from and it was most certainly never intentionally put in as part of any planned re-stocking programme. In fact the club concerned wouldn't even entertain the idea of introducing a known 'easy-catch' hybrid, whether it's F1, F2 - or even Formula Ford! This is a club water, NOT a 'pay as you poke' dolly hole stuffed full of fish. In any case we're anglers, NOT danglers!

Several of our members have fished this particular lake for more than 50 years without ever seeing a fish like this. You can call it what you like, but this is a one-off 'odd-un' which is nothing like the hard-fighting 'wildies' we are used to.

I was present when the fish was weighed and photographed. Just from its looks, my first impression was that it was a very old fish but that's only a gut feeling. Then again, I do have a large gut!

For what it's worth, I support the view that it could well be an illegal immigrant from someone's garden pond or aquarium, which was given an assisted passage into our lake when its 'caring' owner got fed up with feeding it.

Chevin

Reaction score
I must say that at my first glance I reckoned it was an uncoloured goldfish and the more I look at it, the more convined I become.