Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jaffa Guest

Hi all, please have a quick look at my picture and tell me what you think it is. Its not a Wild Carp is it a Crucian?

The Monk Guest

looks like a King Common (Cyprinus carpio rex)to me from the photograph, certainly not a Wild variety, much too semetrical and the lack of shoulder profile usually found in Wildies, as for a crucian, none of the fins have the classic rounded edges or the golden tinge.

Ron 'The Hat' Clay Guest

Definitely a Common carp.

Isn't the head a bit small, the back a bit high for a common? My guess would be a brown goldfish, albeit a big one!

The Monk Guest

just a mutant gene pool Alan, I had one the same shape as a Bream once (and its didnt fight much better either)

Jaffa Guest

Thanks for the comments, must be a freak of nature.

I've got a pond at home with a goldfish very simular to your carp so may be it is a brown goldfish. I dont know with carp any more just when you think they cant adapt any more then some thing new comes along.

Ive been carp fishing for 8 years now and never have i come across a king carp (common) looking like that.

I would say that it is a hybrid.
    To deep for a baby common, just looks wrong!

Hope this helps you young stuart.

The Monk Guest

Ive been catching carp since the late sixties, trust me mate, Its a King variety, carp dont hybred

The Monk Guest

Interestingly, if you cast your mind back to an issue in the carping world a few years ago, a cricuan carp was presented to the record books, but was proved to be simply a common of an unusual genotype.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast