Those where the daze

T

The Monk

I designed the pod prior to pods and buzz bars being commercially available. In the early days of the manchester group we used to travel down to LLandrindodd Wells, this is where I first met a very young Des Taylor back in the secret seventies

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Notice the Jim Gibbo Cloopers. I hade a pair of those in SA. I could outcast all the locals with them.

AND notice the bush hat!

Remember that proper anglers wore bush hats and still do.

T

The Monk

I`d just had the Heron buzzers modified by a young lad called Del Romang who lived in some obscure place down south, Del had done a fantastic job and fitted special steel screw holders in the back for me. These Heron served me well until the cordless BJ alarms came on the market. The rods in this shot are the trusty Jim Gibbinson Clooper, we were just getting into the long range stuff in those days and our margin fishing Mark 4s were not very good for day time fishing on the Dod.

T

The Monk

Yes I liked the old Cloopers Ron, reels were the Mitchell 410s and Match reels for casting distance. prior to this we were using the Intrepid Elites

R

The Mitchell 410s were the best of the best at the time. I wore out four of them in 5 years in SA. Then I converted to Cardinal 54s when they became available, finally moving on to Shimanos about 1986.

R

By the way Monk, did you ever make Cardinal.

It was probably the ruffe slappers that intervened.

And show us a few pictures of ruffe slappers whilst you are at it.

Lee Sambrooks

Reaction score
"These Heron served me well until the cordless BJ alarms came on the market"

"BJ"

With all this talk of 'ruffe slappers' - the mind boggles!!

T

The Monk

With all this talk of 'ruffe slappers' - the mind boggles!!

You wouldnt want to know Lee!

Yes Ron, I never moved over to the Cardinals, but tried them once. For the big waters I bought 3 of the large Mitchell 306s or 308s cant remember the model numbers(I think thats what they were), giant reels designed for sea fishing, a bit like our modern day big pit reels, we also tried multipliers for carp after watching "Long Cast Harry" at the Roman Lakes use them.

J

john ledger

Always thought you where a tight twat Monk,no wonder you are Morris dancing every night. Get some lolly spent

T

The Monk

SSShhh, John,

you said you wouldnt mention the Morris Dancing?

J

john ledger

No Monk and i wouldnt want to mention it was Morris you where dancing with