bream on the grass?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I can tell you why he didn't put those three bream on a mat Dan.
He didn't want to get slime on it that's why.
Don't give me long lush grass Ma Plumb, I wasn't born yesterday y'know.

David Craine

Reaction score
Steve... Angling is a blood sport....minus the hounds etc(Collins English Dictionary, any sport involving the killing of an animal )albeit most of us.. including myself I would add, dont like to see a fish suffer anymore than can reasonably be avoided.... I have been to the coast today, and caught a shedload of Whiting, and Dabs.. some of the Whiting were deeply hooked...I didnt have an unhooking mat, nor any lush grass, tell me what you would have done in this position, and I will then tell you what I did do.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
David, sea fishing for the table is slightly different to coarse fishing for pleasure, isn't it?

My angling doesn't involve the killing of an animal, so Collins is wrong!

Coarse/pleasure angling is definitely not a blood sport.

David Craine

Reaction score
Steve, I think that a great many sea anglers would take issue with that, I know very many that never take fish for the table, for myself, I occasionally do, but the vast majority are released.I am a Coarse, Sea and Game angler, so I sit on both sides of the fence if you like.
Going back to earlier posts....However you look at it, it is very difficult to be a pleasure fisherman, who actually catches fish, without sticking hooks in them,and by playing them to the net,and causing them distress.. my point being... yes, you can use all the unhooking mats, soft mesh nets,antiseptic ointment, in the world, you can rest the fish before release, but it is you (and me), and every other angler Sea Game, or Coarse),on a personal and individual level,who causes the distress in the first place,for sport. You simply cannot get away from that fact.

D

DAN.

david your right you cant escape from sticking a hook into a fish but if you dont like the idea i can only ask this....
WHY THE HELL DO YOU FISH????

D

DAN.

and as for playing the fish if your playing fish for that long stressing them out id re think your game!
playing a fish is an art form so if your taking long to land fish id beef up your tackle mate!

David Craine

Reaction score
Dan....firstly, where ever did you get the idea I dont like the idea of catching fish, I do, I do stick hooks in them,and so far as playing fish is concerned,well, I consider myself reasonably competent, no less than the next angler, and a damm site more so than a lot of others. I have been an angler for over 45 years,because I enjoy it, as I said earlier I am no Hypocrite I take full responsibility for what I do. I do not agree with a lot of what goes on these days, Commercials with Carp that have mouths ripped to bits, 24 hrs day angling, the fish never having a rest or a Close Season.
I will not get into an argument about Angling ethics, I do what I do. Others will also follow what course they choose. I am merely saying at the end of all this that ... and I will shout here, as you have done allready.
IT IS THE ANGLER THAT CHOOSES TO STICK THE HOOK IN.

David Craine

Reaction score
I wondered how long it would be before you made a comment Baz, tell me then, who"s choice is it, if not your own... nobody pushes you at rod point toward the water do they?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If I see anybody sticking a hook in a fish I will do my best to get them banned.

I go fihing as much as I can and catch my fair share. And I have never stuck a hook in a fish yet.

Okay then David lad. You've caught me, now then, what are you going to do?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'll start you off.

I make my own way down to the water under no pressure from anybody else.

Carry on.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
that angel, hes gone back in the box.david you are clearly talking utter nonsense.whats your game .

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
David, I don't understand your argument?

I was referring to sea anglers fishing for the table, as I assumed you were doing? I also know many sea anglers who fish for pleasure.

Yes, we stick a hook in a fish in order to catch it, but then I let it go I don't kill it. So how can that be a blood sport?

I agree with you about commercials and the closed season, so our minds aren't that far apart.

The only point I disagree with you is about calling angling a blood sport, if the fish is released unhurt how can it be a blood sport?

David Craine

Reaction score
Baz...Take a picnic and catch some rays instead of fishing, we can all do with a chill out session occasionally, for me, I chill out with a rod in my hand.
I do get the idea from reading back through the posts that in all, nobody wants to do any more harm than can reasonably be avoided, whatever our feelings, at the end of it we are all anglers, and hopefully (at least some of us) have the welfare of our quarry at heart, that is excepting the ones that run the Commercials with badly damaged fish, from reading Dans profile he seems to aggree with me on that one, I dont fish Commercials either,or need to re-think my game.I am open to suggestions, but nothing has struck me as being new yet.
Off for my tea now.....Fish N Chips, caught by myself.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I see anglers more as conservationists,there would be a whole lot of waterways round my area that would just be dumping grounds if it werent for anglers.baz have you never tried chasing carp in the margins armed only with a size 2 hook ,difficult but a very rewarding method once mastered,steve give it a try its good fun.

David Craine

Reaction score
Gav, point out the utter nonsense please,I will take the point about blood sports though,although it is a fine line between the two.
Must go for my tea, my wife is calling,and she does participate in blood sports.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Anglers do not stick hooks in fish.

Have you seen your arse already David? I was quite loking forward to playing with you.

And as you know, I am always right.

David Craine

Reaction score
Baz, save yourself the Trouble, I fence with proffesionals, you just do not match up.No offence intended.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Go and get your tea like your wife just told you to. I'll let you come back and SHOUT at me afterwards. (o