bream on the grass?

D

DAN.

nice bream shame about the photo and fish on the grass?
suppose they didnt flap around much?
so didnt get marks on them then?

njb51

Reaction score
looks like the grass they are laying on is long enough and soft enough to not be a problem.

D

DAN.

i dont mean to diss them !
would you lay a carp or barbel on the grass?
NO i think you would use a mat!

njb51

Reaction score
'Would you lay a carp or barbel on the grass?'

Yes, don't see the problem if it's long and soft enough.

D

DAN.

look if you lay fish on the grass then fine but i for one prefer to lay them on a unhooking mat!
its all down to fish welfare and in my book a wet un hooking mat is the safe and correct way avoiding scratches and rips to the fish and also avoids the fish from loosing scales by rubbing on un even surfaces ie....GRASS and mud.
but dont worry Jonny if you like doing the other fine !

p.s nice to see your still around!

Ma Plumb

Reaction score
lets not get all het up about it. They where there for poto only. cos i use a mat wot u take me for we did't even way all six of them any way and they where small ones to wot i usely hook and yes i use a mat

D

DAN.

didnt mean to upset one !
was just putting my point accross thats all.
and im not one for getting het up about stuff.yes it makes a good photo as it brings the colour of your catch out its just that i have seen what can happen when fish flap on the grass as it removes the protsctive slime from the fish and in some cases can cut the fish so its not good practice thats all but well done in catching them and i to catch much bigger fish but use a mat for photos and unhooking.i dont take you as anything as i have never met you so dont put people in any catagory antill i have had chance to meet them. (unless people go out there way to p*&s me off)
so if my comments have upset you in any way i sorry!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What we should have is unhooking mats which look like grass, the same as real tree.

There is nothing worse than a picture of an unhooking mat in the frame. It ruins the composition of the photo entirely.

Personally I find that wet grass does very little harm

David Craine

Reaction score
Sling em on the Gravel, take a snap, then suffer the consequences..
For Myself, I see no problem on laying fish on a nice bed of Grass for a Photo, after all, they come from no more a hostile environment, anybody who has watched fish churning in the Gravel to dislodge food particles should agree. Go on and give the antis some more ammo..Treat the fish fairly, after all what is more unnatural, hooking them and landing them, holding them up for a trophy shot, then returning them, or leaving them in the water and going to watch a football match instead.. You cannot have it both ways....Barbel Police on the prowl I think.

D

DAN.

fish when in water aint going to get marked when sifting through gravel or grass.
when out of there natural habbitat flap around get marked or cut then end up with marks ,scratches turning into ulcers getting infected and sometimes can end up killing fish.

so anglers who take care of there catch then release them in the propper manner/way
do away with risk of damaging the fish.

as for go on give the antis more ammo gos....... dont put things like go on sling um on the gravel!
yes a damp patch of grass is better than gravel but have you ever had a grass cut?

David Craine

Reaction score
Firstly, let me say that I do expect a great deal of flack for what I am about to say....Sorry Dan,Cannot agree, my remark re gravel was tongue in cheek, as I thought any reasonable person would realise, so far as "Ulcers", Grass Cuts, marking fish etc etc is concerned, well, putting a hole in a fishes mouth is not exactly the kindest thing in the world is it..and putting a healing cream on the hook mark is no better, why the mark in the first place, because you put it there.
I am certainly no Anti myself, I fish, I put hooks in fishes mouths, I play fish to the net, I feed them un-natural baits, as I am sure most of us do, and more importantly, I am no Hypocrite, by saying that I do the fish little or no harm. It is a hard old world out there, if you try to defend your corner by saying "I cause as little harm as can be reasonable be done, " then leave your rods at home, and start stamp collecting, because that is the only way you will convince me that you do no harm at all when catching fish.What is the difference between a little and no harm, well, it is a few words, that is all.Long term, What is the difference.I can handle being called a blood sport enthusiast, can you?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
David, is that how you honestly see your angling "A Blood Sport"?

Sorry mate, I don't! Well, at least not the way I and many others fish.

A blood sport would be chasing a fox with a pack of dogs, whilst on horse back. Then watching the dogs rip the fox to shreds whilst sipping a glass of bubbly! And having a jolly good laugh about it and slapping each other on the back "good hunt old chap"!

Sorry mate, you need to re-think what angling is all about and yes I knew part of your post was "tongue in cheek".

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I wouldn't give a monkeys if Ma Plumb did get upset Dan. Is his vanity any more fragile than the fish's welfare?

Put it like this.
If I had seen Ma Plumb treating fish that way, I would have had his card. and he could have argued his point as much as he wanted to in front of the committee.

There is no excuse for such a flagrant disregard for fish welfare such as this. A mat should have been used small fish or not. End of.

D

DAN.

plumb didnt upset me.
i knew his statement was a tongue in cheek i just didnt agree with it.
though anyone miss treating there catch should be kicked from the venue and banned for life.

D

DAN.

in the past i to have put fish on the grass but have seen the error of my ways and know use a mat.