Guess the weight

F

Fred Bonney

Neil,very close,nice lawn!

There were two bigger chub caught, by the Mallinson brothers,from our party, up stream a bit more and on the other bank.

No barbel at all, from the 10 of us, over the weekend.

Steve, I didn't take a measurement,but,my thumb, to the wrist crease, is about 5.25inches!
Off the photo, it looks to be, about 24inches long.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It must be nearly 24 inches long then Fred?

I've just measured me thumb to wrist crease, it's the same as yours and I just had a look at my Throop chub, which was *lb **oz.

Can I have a guess yet?

;-)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
No mate, but I did the thumb thing on the picture and I know what it weighed.......nice fish Fred, well done.

How big were the others caught by the brothers?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
The fish looks a young one as well Fred not like some of the old warriors that you see .I caught one last year from Muscliffe just upstream from Throop and that was the same like a new penny and still looking like it had years to grow,it really is chub heaven down there by the way did you use classic baits or pellets and boilies if you dont mind me asking Fred.

F

Fred Bonney

Tried pellets,Gav, got nibbled, switched to a bunch of maggots,hooked one lost one,in a near bank snag, and then caught this one, and also a couple of chublets.

Your Uncle's is a bit fatter Neil,I know that swim.;o)

sweetcorn kid

Reaction score
I guess the weight to be 4lb 9oz of fime english chub and very pleased you look to lucky man love to fish that river .

F

Fred Bonney

Steve got it right,so my ?10 is on the way,to the ACA.
The purpose of this thread, was to show that photo's don't show you anything in respect of size, and going by the guesses I think this proves a point.
Those that took notice of the one clue, Throop 10/03/07,know the stamp of fish, in that stretch of the, Dorset Stour.

sweetcorn kid

Reaction score
There heads look a little different to the trent chub I.m use to is there a difference .

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I was way out with my guess at 4lb but I had the disadvantage of having the first guess (in a pm) and no clues as to where it was caught.

I think Fred chose this picture because he knows the fish didn't look its weight. He has made a very good point about fish and photography though, which is why I'm always very hesitant to disbelieve the weight of a fish based on no more than a picture.

F

Fred Bonney

The fish looked like a monster, in my net on the mat.
I thought I'd beaten my old pb,or, it was close.

Up against me,(close to 20stone)it shrinks considerably,in the photo!

Another reason, for me to start loosing weight :O(

Gowan,I don't necessarily think they look different to Trent fish,,I've caught both variaties from the Trent,those with the longer nose and those,more snub nosed.
I don't know why they differ.(male/female???)
Just seen Mark's fish,I don't think Christian is far out,but what would I know?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Nice fish Fred, and a point well made on judging fish sizes on photos. Thats a reason why I added my picture to show the opposite. Fred and I are of similar size ( I'm 6'6", 19 stone) and most people I've my shown my picture to guess the fish to be in the 4lbs 12oz to 5lbs 8oz bracket.
I was thinking of starting a similar thread when this came up. Mine just scrapped 4lbs 4oz despite its length (It looked much bigger in the net!).
Would anyone looking at those photo's have said there was 2lbs difference in weight between the two?