5lb 6oz River Aire Chub

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
P1010382.JPG

Fish was caught about 1PM in the afternoon on the Keighly AC water 100 yards below Kildwick road bridge on a huge piece of breadflake with a feeder full of liquidised bread. First time I have fished the Aire and previous PB was around the 2lb mark caught from a commercial stillwater so I am over the moon. The fish was in superb condition and very solid.

Deanos

Reaction score
Nice one Nick, grand to see a biggie like this coming out of a Northern river.

Did it scrap much?

Rickrod

Reaction score
nice fish nick i had a 4lb 15oz just up stream from there

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Hi Deanos

Caught it in a crease on the far bank and had to bring it through some pretty fast water so it did put a fair bend in the rod. First gulp of air and it gave in though. Was very placid on the bank for weighing and pics. Swam off nice and strong when put back so was pleased with that. Think Chub are such a handsome fish.

£25 a year to fish this beautiful bit of water is an absolute bargain.

Oh and had my rod licence checked by EA bailiff. First time in about 10 years!!

What did you have your 4.15 on Rick?

Deanos

Reaction score
Ihaven't fished the Aire Nick, is it pretty good along its full length now? I am going to go onto a Leeds or Bradford book this next year and would certainly like to have a crack at it.

Do the Keighly AC have water on any more rivers Nick?

And at last....A BAILIFF!...I have actually seen more Otters than bailiffs whilst angling for many years!....thats one Otter! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif)))

Bob Cross

Reaction score
I just happened on this thread. About ten years ago, I got a day ticket for the Aire at downstream Kilwick, and I caught my best Chub at just over four pounds.

Completely unbeknown to me, there was a match on, and I was between two pegs.

I was trotting breadflake and feeding with mashed bread and hempseed.

I'm used to ones and twos from my home river Brue, but was delighted with my four pounder.