SD Card Problems - Help...!!!!!!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Took some nice pics of the snow this week, took the SD card out of my camera to view on PC with a view to printing some off. Message comes up 'Card not Formatted' Put card back in camera, same message.

Now, technical I may not be, but I do know if I format the card the images will be wiped, so is there anyway I can save them...??????

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You need to try some file recovery software on it before formatting it. It is not guaranteed to work but you may well recover some, if not all, of your photos.

I have a magazine at home with some suggested free downloadable software for this purpose but cannot remember off the top of my head what it is called.

If no one else has suggested any I will check when I am home from work and let you know.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Does your TV take an SD card? Might be worth trying it in that or check the connections on the card, are they dirty or damaged?

You can clean them with a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton wool bud then wipe clean. Careful not to lift any contacts.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Have had the same problem Kevin, also error - corrupt segment. Usually happens when you delete images of the card. I now format the card each time I have copied the images of it.
I have never tried repairing a card and have no software for recovering the card so cannot help further.

dezza

Reaction score
Consider the make of the card. There are a few cheap and nasty memory cards about which a friend of mine who is far more qualified in these matters told me not to touch.

My Nikon cameras only recommend SanDisk, Toshiba, Panasonic and Lexar cards.

I use Sandisk Extreme and have never had a problem.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I had similar problems with a Sandisk (sorry Ron!). Although I could initially review them on the camera (Canon), when I attempted to download them I got a similar message and could no longer view them via the camera. Tried a recovery program but failed. Lost the images and could only reformat as suggested.

Like "Wobbly" I now reformat every time and (touch wood) have had no further problems (the same card).

Typical.... the images I lost were of a 2.14 roach, I'll probably never see such a roach again!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Download a copy of SandDisk's own recovery software, RescuePro. Google should find it easily.

Don't worry, Kevin. You haven't lost your pictures, I can guarantee it.

chav professor

Reaction score
It is devistating when it happens. I've had two Sandisk SD cards do this in my NIKON D60. The first time I am certain it was the machine I used in Jessups. I was P****d at that as I had rushed into town to get photos of a new pb carp.

Always back up your pics on the computer before taking the SD card anywhere.....

Second fault, well, that happened probably because i was deleting images and the card corrupted.

Try retrieval software it may work, but the faults my cards developed, anywhere I put the SD card, it would not recognise it. When i'm feeling flush I may treat myself to a pro- SLR with two card slots so all images are automatically backed up.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

I had similar problems with a Sandisk (sorry Ron!). Although I could initially review them on the camera (Canon), when I attempted to download them I got a similar message and could no longer view them via the camera. Tried a recovery program but failed. Lost the images and could only reformat as suggested.

Like "Wobbly" I now reformat every time and (touch wood) have had no further problems (the same card).

Typical.... the images I lost were of a 2.14 roach, I'll probably never see such a roach again!

Yes Neil,

Its always a good fish isn't it. I was inconsolable for about a fortnight.

Chris

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
When i'm feeling flush I may treat myself to a pro- SLR with two card slots so all images are automatically backed up.
Not soo sure they all do that.

My Olympus has two cards, a CompactFlash and a XD card, but I can only write to one at a time.

Best to keep reformatting them and treat them like film - only load so many pictures on one card then swap for another. Pointless buying big cards (16gb etc) since they hold too much and are expensive. Better off having 8 x 2gb cards and swapping them regularly.

chav professor

Reaction score
I think it was a Nikon D300s - can get one for around £1000:eek::eek::eek:

probably have to live with my very satisfactory Nikon D60 and regularly back up the images. The lifetime garantee offered with the sandisk SD card is worthless compared with the loss of images.