Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fin up.......

Default Fin up.......

We see so many images of anglers holding their latest specimen catch in the media . The perch dorsal is usually highlighted by a finger tucked in behind the fin.
    Other species seem to lower the dorsal fin when posing for a picture.
    A big roach with it's dorsal erect looks 10 times better than with the dorsal laying flat on it's back, same goes for barbel, crucians etc.
    OK I know we all want to return them as quickly as possible without fannying about with cameras .
    Is there a way, or secret tickle on the anal fin or vent perhaps that hits the "dorsal erect" nerve in time for a photo?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fin up.......

ive found sometimes carp respond to a gentle "waggle" when holding them for a photo and raise there dorsal.

Agree roach/bream look ace with there dorsals held up, Theres some great pics in of this in terry lampards book.

(sometimes perch look just as impressive without there dorsals up)

Often the Rarely caught or Stressed fish are the ones who go ridged and the Dorsal stands up ?!!

Bob

Nice fish !...Agree about the Carp waggle. Also try hooking your thumb behind the pectoral nearest you (so hidden from the camera) and gently ease it outwards away from the fish …that can get the fish to raise its dorsal..well some of the time…thinking about it, never tried that with a fish other than a Carp yet…

Blog Entries

Roach shots should leave the anal fin clear.

A hybrid can easily be spotted by a too long anal.

When I do take images of my catches, they are usually self takes with everything set up in advance. The end result usually requires a bit of cropping but that's about it. Everything is done very quickly without too much thought and back the fish goes.

Don't know of any secret or trick but in these examples it helps that the subject is a bigger poser than me!

You appear to fish MF quite often Neil - have you ever come accross (reluctant to erect fin for pic) this fellow with a very distinctive 'v' in front of the dorsal? My son caught it twice between 2007-09 at 3.8 & 3.10 - wonder what it weighs now if still around?

Last edited by barbelboi; 02-07-2011 at 11:21. Reason: Question addressed to wrong person
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

wonderful crucians by all

Great stripy Danny - is that the Nile in the background?
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    Often the Rarely caught or Stressed fish are the ones who go ridged and the Dorsal stands up ?!!

Bob
    I totaly agree with this post...and a Perch that has never seen a hook is a classic example of that...even there gill covers flare out.... Don't always take the best pictures though as they tend to curve there bodies and go ridgid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast